Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Classicrock
Great Britain

Re: Speakers

Unread post by Classicrock »

Just been reading back through the earlier posts. Frankly Apprentice may have made a good choice for the outlay. Never been a KEF fan but heard quite a few online recommendations and praise for the 500. Even the big boys produce the odd decent design. Some people like new stuff and don't want to have to reveneer and fettle an old pair of Royds. I don't doubt how good they were new but those I see advertised I suspect need some work. Also Royd never did large floorstanders which would be mine and many others preference. Good ones tend to be above £3K new these days. Now if Doc was to build a floorstanding 'cube' I would be willing to give them a try. If you ignore the salesmen in Sevenoaks and the like and get them to dem what you want to hear and make your own decision don't see a problem. Best way to buy agree is go online and do click and collect - also gives you some thinking time - no sales pressure.
Last edited by Classicrock on Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As I said my irritation was I know how these salesmen operate and to blow your wad at the first dealer you walk into, especially Sevenoaks is silly to say the least.

Also because I am cross with myself because I should have warned him not to buy in the shop, but if he liked something go home think about it and then buy on their website as you are then protected by the distant selling regs, which give you 30 days to return for full refund if unhappy. If you buy in the shop they have no legal requirement to take them back if you are unhappy, and they will try to say credit note and you have to buy something else from us, that is the usual scam.

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

I don't disagree about these places but I think by luck Apprentice may have made a reasonable purchase. If he wants new and is happy - all well and good. At least he wasn't seduced by the bright tweeters and didn't go for MA or B&W. Have read some good things about the latest KEFs from actual purchasers.
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Well i hope he comes back and lets us know how he's getting on with em........ :epop:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Classicrock, yes, there's loads of choice of genuinely good floorstanders. The big old classics from Altec, Bozak, EV, Klipsch, JBL, Vitavox as well as the kibuki's from the Japanese manufacturers. Prices range from £200 for something like Macca's Akais through to £500 for my Bozaks and EV Sentrys going all the way up to over £10,000 for the most collectable JBL's and EV's.

Apprentice will have better speakers than the vast majority / all of his friends. Which is reason enough to be happy with them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

These would be my choice for the same price as similar thing cosmetically.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:These would be my choice for the same price as similar thing cosmetically.

http://www.klipsch.com/rf-7-ii-floorstanding-speaker
Do they have a similar sound to royds ? What are the cheaper models like ?

http://www.klipsch.com/RF-26F

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ballsy and fun for me, can be a little over top for others. Them and the RS8's have become a bit of a fad in Italy being used with NVA AP10s and AP20s as they are so efficient.

No matter what I say please realise that for me Cubes are better otherwise I wouldn't make them. I am talking about alternatives.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I heard these, or an earlier version of them, some fifteen or so years ago and didn't like them at all. All sharp-shine and shrill, but then, my ears weren't damaged then and were more sensitive than they are now (I've had a good few ear infections [one of my Diabetes symptoms apparently] since I turned 40 and they've all had an effect). Maybe I'd enjoy the brashness now, but experience tells me I couldn't live with them long-term.

Loudspeakers and the room they're in are the most controversial part of a Hifi nerd's system, so thank gawd there are so many different models to choose from :)
Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

AshM750.

Unread post by AshM750. »

I understand Doc, I have a list of speakers that I wish to listen to this year, obviously Cubes are on the list but I have not heard of these Klipsch before.