Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
nerica19
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Speakers

Unread post by nerica19 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I think the point is being missed here.
No Doc, I got the point, really! - and in fact held back on saying the obvious (to me anyway, having learned the hard way) - which is that for the price of his new Kefs what with all the posh shop margins and Saturday staff to pay, Apprentice could have bought (for example) just about all the speakers I currently have - which includes the Royds, the Carvers and the 2 x big Kefs and probably 2.5m of LS6 for good measure! But I still hope Apprentice is enjoying the new speakers. Chipping just further £100 or so on a pair on Minstrels might be a good idea though - or even a bit more for those nice RR1s up on eBay at the moment...
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I wish I'd heard more of the later Royds, as IMO they definitely got better for my tastes anyway, over the years. I have very fond memories of the Minstrel SE.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

fatmarley

Unread post by fatmarley »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:I wish I'd heard more of the later Royds, as IMO they definitely got better for my tastes anyway, over the years. I have very fond memories of the Minstrel SE.
I had a pair of Royd Sorcerer SE but quickly sold them because they were as dull as dishwater. The guy I sold them too also sold them because they were dull.

I never understood this because the Minstrels I had were great fun and from reading reviews it seems most of his speakers were on the lively side. I'm sure I read somewhere that his hearing deteriorated in his later years and wondered if this had something to do with it?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

His hearing was fine in '99 the last time I was with him. I think you must have had a duff or ferked with pair. There isn't a pair of working properly Royds that could ever be called dull. Of the smaller nearfield type speakers the Merlin is probably the gem, but very hard to find. Most easily found is the small floor stander the Minstrel, a fun speaker if ever there was one.

fatmarley

Unread post by fatmarley »

Perhaps they were duff then.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Collection from Widnes and £45 at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-The-Mins ... 3f45bee64a

Classicrock
Great Britain

Unread post by Classicrock »

The
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Collection from Widnes and £45 at the moment http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Royd-The-Mins ... 3f45bee64a
They have a duff driver so require repair !
I Know What I like (In Your Wardrobe)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have a driver somewhere :mrgreen:

Must be worth 100 notes Image

nerica19

Unread post by nerica19 »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:BTW - Marco bashing is our sport.
Glad you didn't say Marcobating... :shock:

A chap's gotta have a hobby!

Quite understand; but just being positive and trying to encourage a few more people to make a few more posts about equipment, music and stuff, which are the ones I find most interesting.

But it's all good fun. Thx for keeping it all running.
AMPs: NVA P50 + NVA A60 / Alner Hamblin SP400 Passive Pre + Alner Hamblin SA400 x 2 bridged Digital: Musical Fidelity KW DM25 Transport + KW DM25 DAC / Meridian 200 Transport + Heed DAC / PC to Arcam irDAC via USB Analogue: upgraded Rega RP3+PSU + Exact MM + NVA Phono 2 & 2nd PSU Speakers: Royd Apex + Carver Amazing Platinum IVs + QTA HK10 (on Partingtons) + KEF 105/3 - all LS6 Cans: Grado SR225e (+NVA AP10H) Interconnects: all NVA SSP & SSC + Power Inspired AG1500

walterwhite
Wales

Unread post by walterwhite »

I have very fond memories of these. Very big bang for buck speakers that can be had for less than £50 most of the time. Awesome sound staging, big bass and easily driven. I used them with a small NVA integrated in the early nineties and it was a special sound for very little money. Highly recommend them as worth a try.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pair-of-quali ... SS:GB:1120
Bi-amped A80's, P90sa, LS6, AP10h, Phono2/2 PSU's, BMU, SSC, SSP2, Raspberry pi/Durio Sound Dacs, Rega RP6/Dynavector 10x5, Royd RR2.