Nytech Arc 050 Active system

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Nytech Arc 050 Active system

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Additionally and from my perspective. . Doping influences [only ?] the frequency response by effecting the cone [mechanical ], It deosnt do it electrically and therefore mess with the music .

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:School marmish again :roll:

I don't know of anyone who doped Bextrene cones, there is no point. Doping is taming down not livening up, which is what Bextrene needs. Bextrene cones are *made* from a type of doping material :roll:
Spendor and KEF both doped their bextrene cones (white belly B110's?) and I was commenting about passive and active speakers. Proponents of active over all else haven't listened to many conventional speakers in recent years and haven't compared good actives to GOOD passives either.

Sorry if the 'attitude' came through again, but I still find my old BC2's a highly tactile and engaging listen, the main flaw in the driver is apparently the larger voice coil and dust cap, the latter interfering [reflections] with the pole piece underneath, rather than the cone taking off; I've been told this by their current speaker designer and I dealt with the port hole issues some years ago. Not saying they're a good speaker currently, but turgid and stodgy is not a criticism I'd make of them, or a good surviving pair of BC1's either, when they're properly sited, cabled and driven, in my experience of many pairs including my own in past times. Rogers Studio 1's however...........

Anyway, no Cubes on the horizon for me to hear - hint hint :grin:
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The fact that someone did it doesn't stop it being stupid. The last thing any Betrene coned speaker is is aggressive and toppy. That can be products of paper and Kevlar cones. So to apply doping to Bextrene is to make them even more boring. This is why I said my mods will not work with BBC type loudspeaker designs as the only way to liven up a Bextrene cone is with a filter network (crossover) at the expense of driver efficiency, and as with all filter networks active or passive to some extent or another they ferk up the music.

The art of it, which the Yanks and a few people here in the UK have discovered is to remove something from a cone that has too much of it *mechanically* not electrically, i.e. doping. I still feel there are people / customers who like music and there are those that like Hi-Fi. If anyone really likes complex crossover speaker (not just being used to it, and *invested* in it) then IMO they have to be the latter. I will take music with life in it every time, even if it tends to be a bit raucous (as some Royd can be) than the flat boring farting that comes out of a Spendor and their ilk.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Kazam, you could buy or borrow an adjustable active crossover to see what the ARC's sound like with different amps, but I suppose that would defeat the purpose of the exercise. It seems that the Nytech / ARC's make a cheap, convenient, high WAF, acceptable sounding system. The sort of thing that would be fine as a kitchen system. It's fair enough that they don't sound as good as your more expensive NVA / PMC combination.

kazam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by kazam »

For me its been about sampling different audio flavours. Currently we are in a fortunate position with the second hand market. There's a huge variety of kit available, seemingly passing hands unburdened by depreciation. I appreciate that this status quo cannot endure, so let's all enjoy it while we can! Direct sales seem the only way that the circle can be kept turning in the slightly longer term..