Nytech Arc 050 Active system

All general audio posts go here.
kazam
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Nytech Arc 050 Active system

Unread post by kazam »

Did anyone spot this recently on eBay? Glad to say I did and its now resident and wired up with trusty LS5 and Soundcord (the latter by means of a patch cable as Nytech use Din connectors).

The system comprises a CA252 integrated paired with a CXA252, which houses active crossovers and a further power amp. The active crossovers were designed specifically for the ARC 050 speakers, which came together with their original stands. The kit is pretty much immaculate, all credit to former owners as it is now nearly 35 years old!

First impressions are quite positive, I think I got a bit of a bargain here. I've read a bit about Nytech in the past but ARC (Audio Reproduction Company) was a new name to me. The 050s are mid sized sealed standmounts, which appear to be of fine design and construction.

It would appear that both Nytech and ARC have new product, although I know nothing in terms of whether they share true heritage with the 80s kit. Does anyone have any recollection of the kit or the manufacturers to share?

terrybooth
Great Britain

Re: Nytech Arc 050 Active system

Unread post by terrybooth »

I had a Nytech CA 252 as my first 'real' amp. I couldn't afford a Nat! It is still going strong at a friend's house. Congratulations! Enjoy!
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

I also had a 252 as my first 'proper' amp. It was bought with the intention of adding the second amp and speakers at a later date. Having heard the active system demo'd I remember the sound being powerful and detailed. Although when I next had saved up enough I went for the warmer-sounding Arcam One speakers and part-ex'd the Nytech for an NVA.
The DIN inputs were pretty irritating, everything had to be hooked in with adaptors - but that came in handy as the NVA P80 also used DIN for the tape connection.
I really liked the looks and sound of the Nytech amp. Glad to hear that there is at least 1 still going strong out there.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro & AudioQuest

Firebug1
Finland

Unread post by Firebug1 »

There is a thread in PFM about Nytech amps: http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/show ... p?t=107603 I hope it help's.
Rega by Michael Lim\Teac\ASR\NVA\
SA Mantra30\Audeze LCD-2 closed.
...the Gods you worship are steel, at the altar of rock 'n' roll you kneel...

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

We sold both brands and the ARC's were rather excellent in their day when used in active form. I even sold a Nytech Isobarik system, which worked really well with some then new-type MDF 'brik cabs (early to mid 83).

I think SC could be welded into a DIN, just about, but SSC may prove very difficult as it's four good gauge wires instead of two :(
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:We sold both brands and the ARC's were rather excellent in their day when used in active form. I even sold a Nytech Isobarik system, which worked really well with some then new-type MDF 'brik cabs (early to mid 83).

I think SC could be welded into a DIN, just about, but SSC may prove very difficult as it's four good gauge wires instead of two :(
Dead easy Dave,i made one in my Naim days,i did invent the SSC after all.One of the easiest cables i have ever terminated. :chores-mowlawn:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

Pleased that these seem to trigger good memories all round. Miffed by Din (kinda catchy that), but intrigued to hear that a clean run of the NVA good stuff is a possibility and would definitely like to go there at some point.

At first tonight I thought it was sounding a bit brash, but after pushing the speakers back, its sounding fun again. I did turn it all off last night, so this could be an element in the change too. Think I'll probably keep it always fired in the NVA tradition unless anyone would advise different?

The Nytech is brutalist in look, which personally appeals, although the Receiver thingy seems possibly a step too far :o Active element does interest me and the sealed two ways seem pretty nice.

Cant see it in any way competing up against the main NVA rig, but its certainly an interesting little package from the past. I only have a camera phone but I may try and get a picture up at some point as it is all incredibly 80s, yet minty fresh! :dance:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

For £300, you can't really go far wrong for a system like that.

I like the Star Trek beam me up Scotty volume controls on those Nytech's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Slider faders are far less reliable than rotary ones, dirt gets in very easily.

kazam

Unread post by kazam »

At present the faders are silent in operation and silky smooth. A tactile interface is always a treat :lol: Its under cover, but well ventilated, so hope to keep dust etc at bay.