Back to the future

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Back to the future

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

For me modern audio is not acceptable, it is ok but it doesn't inspire. Back to the future is the way for real music, but how far back, at what point was the golden age we want to reproduce.

Pigsy
Been thanked: 0

Re: Back to the future

Unread post by Pigsy »

1887 its been downhill ever since Image

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not quite what I meant, for some it is the 50's and valves, for some the 60's do it, for some it is the 70's and solid state, for some it is the 80's and early digital. The 90's was downhill on all levels, we are now in the teens of the new century, does anyone see anything making music better, well I don't.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

As my TT is 36 years old,i may already be there.But i aint gonna swap my AP70 for an old Sony amp with 200 knobs on it,or going back to bell wire... :angry-screaming: :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Pigsy

Unread post by Pigsy »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not quite what I meant
i know :grin:

being born in the late 80's i do have a soft spot for 90's gear even if its not so great in the scheme of things

Pigsy

Unread post by Pigsy »

i seems to be (from what ive seen elsewhere and myself) that an individual will favour equipment from the decade he lusted over it as a young impressionable lad - i could be wrong though

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I have to agree with you there Pigsy. Trouble is most of the stuff i lusted after is in land fill now... 8-)
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Strange, the things I lusted over are now old and wrinkly and past their sell by date :lol:

Dingsking

Unread post by Dingsking »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Not quite what I meant, for some it is the 50's and valves, for some the 60's do it, for some it is the 70's and solid state, for some it is the 80's and early digital. The 90's was downhill on all levels, we are now in the teens of the new century, does anyone see anything making music better, well I don't.
I don't entirely agree. I got into valves through kits in the 90's and without doubt this was a way forward, providing tuneable sound that seriously out stripped commercial stuff available over the counter and being in kit form was sensibly affordable. Since then, all my builds have been safe. I am now embracing the modern kit which is starting to catch up and I am now investing in solid state and digital as it is a competitive consideration.

However, like Wallace, my TT is also 36 years old and I have no intention to replace it as it significantly out performs the majority of modern tables available.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Valves are 50's (or earlier) technology. So you were back to the future in the 1990's. I think you miss the point of the thread.