Back to the future

All general audio posts go here.
jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Re: Back to the future

Unread post by jandl100 »

Shevans wrote:... Still recall the expression on my dads face as his Decca FFS cart missed the 7" and played the mat for a few seconds....
Ouch :doh: - I hope you feel bad about that now. ;)
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

terrybooth wrote:
Fretless wrote:I very much agree.

As for Golden ages, I missed jazz in the 50's. Trane, Miles, Monk, Blue Note. One mic, no mixing.
Tape running at the wrong speed (Kind of Blue, Side 1)
Hey, it's still a classic - and who noticed at the time? A recent reissue has also corrected this (Not Now Records)
People didn't notice that sport of thing. Even the early Edison style grammophones were praised for their lifelike sound.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: P50sa - Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a (x2)
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 - BMU+ Aiyima A07 MAX (x2) + Arcam One
HP: HifiBerry Digi+ PRO + Sabaj A10d
Office:
Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith THX AAA 887
Headphones: German Maestro, Monolith & AQ

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

Tuning dials backlit, glowing Hilversum polished walnut.
Cocoa Ovaltine, far away announcers Luxembourg.

Lavender wax warmth rising, hot dust, record on.
Up click drop scrape rumble, Matt Monro,
On days like these, We're gonna change the world.

Hum valves Light Programme Saturday Club,
Bernard Hermann and the NDO.
Coal fire, black print, fretwork, loose cloth ripples,
Fadeout, lights out, tick-tock wall clock cool down, sleep valves,

Sleep child, sleep tight night night.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

jandl100 wrote:
Shevans wrote:... Still recall the expression on my dads face as his Decca FFS cart missed the 7" and played the mat for a few seconds....
Ouch :doh: - I hope you feel bad about that now. ;)
At the time I did not apreciate the cost, but do recall him showing me the replacement which I was NOT to touch. I doubt very much he paid for it :grin: he was an audio engineer in the TV industry but by then was working on films like Never Too Young To Rock.

wallace
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

SteveTheShadow wrote:Tuning dials backlit, glowing Hilversum polished walnut.
Cocoa Ovaltine, far away announcers Luxembourg.

Lavender wax warmth rising, hot dust, record on.
Up click drop scrape rumble, Matt Monro,
On days like these, We're gonna change the world.

Hum valves Light Programme Saturday Club,
Bernard Hermann and the NDO.
Coal fire, black print, fretwork, loose cloth ripples,
Fadeout, lights out, tick-tock wall clock cool down, sleep valves,

Sleep child, sleep tight night night.
Most of that ,rings a bell for me... :shifty:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

jandl100 wrote:
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:The Decca tree mic technique was full of phase distortion ....
You've got to remember that I like valve and class D amps - I enjoy distortion. :lol:
I'm not criticising it, but that was the 'Decca Sound' by and large...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Dave I really don't know who feeds you this information. Both Capitol and Decca used a 3 mic system, and they didn't create phase distortion apart from what ANY recording does, it is bound to happen. The same as it is bound to happen to live music in any acoustic, it is known as ambiance. The difference is that Capital hung three mics above left - mono - right and Decca used a front spaced fig 8 with two mics and had a third mounted centre for infill. Between them they still created the best recordings we have EVER had, and I very much wish we could do it again, instead of all the bollocking around they do now.

Dingsking

Unread post by Dingsking »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Dingsking wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Valves are 50's (or earlier) technology. So you were back to the future in the 1990's. I think you miss the point of the thread.
No, not missed the point at all. Surely the point of this thread is not intended to be so prescriptive. Valves re-emerged in the 90's but in a way different to traditionally thought of. They were no longer soft a wooly but rather acute and sharp in sound reproduction terms, no doubt because of advance in the supporting components used in valve amp construction. They were considerably more musical compared to most of the Solid Sate over the counter alternatives and actually remain in that position today. I recognise there are some horror stories about valves, some even perpetuated by yourself, but a well put together valve amp is as safe as it's solid state alternative and of course, the intelligent user knows how to maximise their use and keep them safe at the same time.
Who told you that!!!!

Nothing has changed apart from some solid state has been used in some valve amp power supplies. Valves re-emerged in the UK in the late 70's with Anthony and Michaelson. The 90's had nothing to do with it.

Stop making it a competition, that is just childish bollocks. The thread is not about which is best, it is about what is your fav back to the future.
No-one told me it. It is simple personal observation readily available for you and others to contemplate. If some companies caused a resergence of valve interest in the 70's, it certainly passed me by so no doubt many others. I have no recollection of valves at the time having any significant impact on the industry or being marketed on the High Street in consequence.

In the 90's commonly recognised through the influence of Noel Keywood and Hi-Fi World/World Audio Design, there was a resergence of valve gear into the market. Absolutely nowt to do with solid state components being used in the power supply. Certainly that did happen but punters were equally satisfied with power supplies from a basic valve rectifier, often in preference.

I am not interested in making this a competition and any suggestion that what I am saying is childish bollocks is an insult. Shame on you considering how much you value your complaints against all the other forums who you consider insult you!

I am simply saying, in retrospect, I like valves and certainly that is a back to the future consideration, although they certainly have been better presented in years more recent. Maybe in the 20's to 50's the sound was limited, but up to date applications have made them very viable. Yep, I know it's not your scene, but please don't knock it without reasonable evidence. Many like their valve systems and it would be unreasonable not to simply acknowledge that.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I am wasting my time you still haven't understood a word I said - do you have an agenda or something. This is NOTHING to do with liking valves, it is you that is redirecting this thread, and if you cannot get back on the subject your posts will be moderated to make sure they do.

There is NO agenda in this thread apart from what you are creating. Back on subject or stay out of it!

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Play nice kids, or there'll be tears before bedtime. :snooty:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the purpose of this thread seems to be about old kit specifically, rather than old technologies in general.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X