Hi-Fi Companies that lose themselves

All general audio posts go here.
jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hi-Fi Companies that lose themselves

Unread post by jandl100 »

Kevlar - didn't B&W use that for their midrange drivers? :think: ---- boooooring sound!

My old JBL L110 Monitors had paper mid and bass drivers - wooo, they were fun! Musical excitement by the spadeful.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Yes you are quite right but you obviously didn't read my post about Kevlar properly, go and read it again, then comment on what I actually said.

JBL and Altec paper is not just paper, that is where the misunderstanding occurs. It was the construction or the cone and how the paper was graded across the cone that made it work. Both companies used the same company to make their cones and that was the secret.

jandl100

Ah, you mean the dopes at B&W didn't dope the Kevlar drive units properly? - they sounded kind of soggy to me.

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jandl100

Out of curiosity - who did make decent speakers with Kevlar drive units?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

""""""DOPED KEVLAR""""""

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

jandl100 wrote:Ah, you mean the dopes at B&W didn't dope the Kevlar drive units properly? - they sounded kind of soggy to me.
Their drivers were undoped pure Kevlar cones. Kevlar has a midband resonance that can either be filtered in the crossover as B&W did or sort it out by doping the cone. Filters kill music.

karatestu
Great Britain

Unread post by karatestu »

jandl100 wrote: Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:15 am
_D_S_J_R_ wrote:Jerry, have you heard any of these old suspects on MODERN sources and amps? I only ask because many systems today, using any source, seem clearer and easier to 'hear through' than they were back in the mid 70's ime. Not saying it'll make a silk purse out of a bucket of turnips, but it does seem to help them no end to use an amp with good damping factor (if you believe in such things - Harbeth don't:(), decent gauge speaker cables and a good digital or clean vinyl source (not the way we used to site a turntable, with no real thought for isolation).
Hi Dave

Yes, I quite agree with you that modern electronics and ancillaries can raise the game of older speaker designs. (I think I've made the same point myself on AOS).

The reason I use a duck in all my avatars goes back to a disagreement I had with a guy on the Wigwam who insisted that my latest fave speaker purchase at the time (Bowers Active One's, remember them?) had unacceptable levels of 'bextrene quack' from the cone material used. Try as I might - and compared to a nice example of Quad 57 stats - I couldn't hear it with the modern electronics I was using - I said the only quack I could hear came from a nearby lake with ducks on :lol: and changed my avatar accordingly. I invited the guy over to have a listen (to the speakers, not the ducks) as he wasn't too far away, but sadly he didn't accept the invite. It would have been interesting.

And yes, I've heard the vintage Rogers Export Monitors previously mentioned with modern electronics, as well as more modern Spendor SP1/2 and others. After the initial "Wow" factor of tonal neutrality, which lasted a quite impressive couple of days with the SP1/2, all of them are like watching paint dry as far as I am concerned.
Thread resurrection alert.

I stumbled on this thread which i found interesting. Hope you don't mind me quoting you Jerry. Your duck obsession explained
DIY FREE ZONE

jandl100

Hah, yes, that's how the ducks started.

Interesting to be reminded by the previous posts that RD and I usually had very similar views on how hifi gear sounds and whether it was any good.
... we both hated Tannoy dual concentrics, for example. :dance:
Of course, RD had infinitely greater insight as to the causes and underlying technical reasons.

CN211276
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CN211276 »

Oppo used to make good headphones and I have a pair in regular use. The company decided that more money could be made elsewhere (mobile phones) and stopped making them. When I was in Kenya there were posters everywhere advertising their mobile phones. I expect it is the same in other countries where they are tapping a growing market. Not so much a company losing its way as a multi national corporate knowing where its bread is buttered.
Main System
NVA BMU, P90SA/A80s (latest spec), Cube 1s, TIS, TISC(LS7)
Sonore OpticalRendu, Chord Mscaler & Qutest, Sbooster PSs
Network Acoustics Eno, ifi iPurifier3, AQ JB FMJ, Cisco 2940 & 2960
DH Labs ethernet, BNC & USB cables, Farnells cat 8 ethernet cable

Second System
NVA P20/ A20, Cubettes, LS3, SSP, SC
Sonore MicroRendu, Chord Mojo 2 MCRU PSs, AQ Carbon USB cable & JB FMJ

Headphones
Grado SR325e/Chord Mojo, Beyerdynamic Avetho/AQ DF Colbat

RIP Doc

antonio66
Great Britain

Unread post by antonio66 »

Oppo phones are popular in the far east.