optical cables

All general audio posts go here.
jimbob
Great Britain

optical cables

Unread post by jimbob »

What are peoples feelings, which are good and which are bad?
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: optical cables

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I've used a cheap but sturdy one from CPC. They also do a nicer, posher looking one for nearly twice the price -

http://cpc.farnell.com/cable-power/cpop ... dp/AV24552

I once read that any limitation with domestic optical connecting is in the Toslink plugs and sockets used, rather than the technology itself. Optical has been recommended from computer to external DAC to prevent any 'electrical' connection between the two.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The problem is with the circuitry doing the conversion. It is more gumf in the path. The signal is electrical, but with optical you have two conversion circuits, one send one receive, and they are not very good for music, fine for phone or data though.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Ah okay. It would getting used to go from the tv to an external dac. I'm assuming Tha even this compromised form of connection would still be better than just using the dac in the tv?
Squeezebox Touch - Cambridge Audio Azur (pre) - Mycetias 250A Power Amp - Mycetias V2 Speakers

Dingsking
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Dingsking »

I'm in the market for some optical cables. From what I have read, best performance for audio is to buy proper glass cables rather than the cheaper plastic variety.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

People are somewhat confused by digital transmission of hi-fi quality music. There are the "data is data" brigade who look at it too simplistically. If this was the case why do the digital (single cable) versions of NVA interconnects make the same quality and quantity of difference going up the range as they do for analogue. A good optical is better than a bad electrical. BUT good electricals outperform any optical.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

Ah okay. I'm reluctant to go spending a fortune as the dac is only a £30 jobbie.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

SCD is better than any optical. Cost depends on length but one cable so half the analogue price. So that makes 40cm £7 I think.

jimbob
Great Britain

Unread post by jimbob »

I will have to find out what inputs are on the dac and see if any of your cables will be okay. Obviously the dac is an important component but are expensive dacs worth the money do you think?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I have very limited knowledge of DACs. The process in the last 20 to 30 years has been encapsulation, which means they are simpler and smaller. My DAC weighs over 20 kilos and is full of components having been built late 80's as a Sony demonstration of what they can do if they really try, and it was VERY expensive, but it is better than any DAC produced now IMO. Today it is a few chips and that is it, and normally shit power supplies which has created an upgrade market.

If and when my Sony DAS-R1 http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-DAS-R1.html gives up the ghost I may have a look at a new DAC and playing with it like I did with the QED digit in the 90's.