BMR

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

BMR

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

i am becoming intrigued by these . They are full range drivers and therefore need no x-over .

they can be had [ for the moment ] relatively cheaply £20-£40 from Cotswolds , which are appraently the same one used in Naims very expensive speakers .

there is a question as to whether they can do bass and spl but that can be solved by a bass driver for frequences below 200hz or so or indeed an array of them .

anybody any experience of them ?

Macca
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: BMR

Unread post by Macca »

I've not heard them but they have been intriguing me for a while. In theory they solve a lot of problems, getting the crossover well down out of the midrange. Could they be as good as JBLs fancy compression driver which is mega money and which can't be bought separately in any case? Richer sounds do a range of speakers that use them I should really go along for a listen.

Daniel Quinn

Yes you should because at the moment they can be bought for £149 down for £350 . They also use the cotswold bmr

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

It was the bigger floorstanders with the twin bass drivers I would be interested in which last time I looked were about £600. The £150 standmounters would be lost in my room.

A DIY version with the BMR and a 15 inch bass driver in a large, sealed box - now that would be an interesting project. But the specs for the BMRs that I can find indicate low sensitivity (83db/1 metre). low power handling (25 watts) and curtailed HF response (-6dB at 18 KHz) so not as simple a task as it looks, unless you have found some that measure better.

joe

Unread post by joe »

Macca wrote:It was the bigger floorstanders with the twin bass drivers I would be interested in which last time I looked were about £600. The £150 standmounters would be lost in my room.
The Aero 6 floorstanders are £399.99; the Aeromax 6 floorstanders are £699.99. Both have twin bass drivers.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

So this old chestnut is still floating around. The tech was developed by Mission in the 1980's and no one has made a success of it, it was originally NXT, which didn't sell because they are basically crap. Drivers are now made cheaply in China and one of the industry wideboys I see is behind the project - John Visor.

It sounds to me that it is in the process of failing again if they are having to sell "A" stock at those prices.

Daniel Quinn

so they are no good for hifi , just for teles ?

joe

Unread post by joe »

Daniel Quinn wrote:so they are no good for hifi , just for teles ?
I'd guess you'd have to listen to them to know for sure!

Daniel Quinn

Alas , so true ;)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

This looks like NXT and NXT wasn't hi-fi.