Recording or Playing ? - Poll.

All general audio posts go here.
zebbo
Great Britain

Re: Recording or Playing ? - Poll.

Unread post by zebbo »

I've been flipping LP's all day today, last two days actually, and haven't come across a duffer yet. 8-)
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

zebbo wrote:I've been flipping LP's all day today, last two days actually, and haven't come across a duffer yet. 8-)
Well there you go. Your system must be a good one 8-)
In fact looking at your signature system, I would expect it to be musical, dynamic, yet unfailingly neutral at the same time.
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Nah, I just played Love over gold over and over ! :lol: :lol:
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

SteveTheShadow
Great Britain

Unread post by SteveTheShadow »

zebbo wrote:Nah, I just played Love over gold over and over ! :lol: :lol:
Well that's my illusion shattered :lol: :lol:
Somebody’s telling me the latest scandals.
Somebody’s stepping on my plastic sandals. Joe Jackson (1979)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

:lol: One thing that did come to light earlier today was the fact that my copy of Janis Ian's Breaking Silence, which is a stunning recording, has become really crackly. I've owned it for just over two years but It's probably only been played about 20 times, so I decided to phone Diverse Vinyl, not holding out much hope, but they were brilliant! A new copy is on it's way no questions asked, superb. A bit off topic, sorry. :grin:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Funny you should say that, been playing Crystal lake from Mirage several times in the car, recorded at the same time I think. Beautiful and gets better with each passing year :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ATeFGN2Ss

Also downloaded FLACs of Redshift - RW3.

Last edited by _D_S_J_R_ on Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

kimangelis
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr.... This all very interesting. But a little off the point?

Which was....
You can play a good recording on a good system, and it sounds, well... good.
You can play a bad recording on a good system and it sounds naff.
Play a bad recording on a good system, and it sounds awful.
Play a bad recording on a bad system, and perhaps it sounds fine?

Because the great majority of general releases are mixed to sound 'good' on MTV, radio, boom-boxes etc.

I don't suppose any competent recording engineer will deliberately put down a master that is naff. It's what is done with that master before pressing/CD-ing (?) that's definitive. This argument is supported by LP's that sound fine, but CD's that don't.... both from the same master.
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

That's exactly why I moved over to vinyl for my main listening - far, far fewer duffers.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Ok its fukin ......YOU NAN O MUS........All hail the great system..... ;)

A RECORDING MIGHT BE SHIT, BUT A FINE SYSTEM WILL MAKE IT SMELL LIKE ROSE'S.........

Welder

Unread post by Welder »

jammy395 wrote:Ok its fukin ......YOU NAN O MUS........All hail the great system..... ;)

A RECORDING MIGHT BE SHIT, BUT A FINE SYSTEM WILL MAKE IT SMELL LIKE ROSE'S.........
:clap:
It will Jammy. Ffs man, the poll can't be wrong!
Everyone knows a great system will rectify absolutely everything that was nerfed at the recording stage if you just believe. :pray: :o :whistle:
Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.