Cheap But Good Speakers.

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Cheap But Good Speakers.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Beovox 3800

A few years ago, a pair was being given away on freecycle. Those days have gone and some of the ones being sold have horribly faded cabinets, but with some TLC - and Beopeople always recap any old beovox as a matter of course ;) you'd have a far better looking speaker than the Goodmans Goodwoods, which are related in bass and mid driver I think.

The Beovox 5702 was basically a 'squashed' Ditton 66 and another great speaker from the good old days. Lower models in this series sounded better together (2702 with 3702) but the average 2 ohm loading would kill many modern amps (B&O amps of this period were designed for this kind of load from the outset...)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

I don't want to shit on a parade........But as the title suggests.

WTF............Get Can's.

A £5 headband will kill a £500 speaker.

:angry-screaming:

oldcameraman3

Unread post by oldcameraman3 »

Partially agree ,the tweeters need an exchange but the bass suits me for the radio I play on it and really it is reasonably clean if not extended.I have, if I ever get them back from my son a set of original Ditton 15s which will probably replace them and they will shift down to the workroom.However,sturdy cabinet for future project? and I believe the switch of felt to foam made a significant improvement and anyway which other speakers could you stand on the cones to reach the highest bookshelf!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

KEF B139, same type of construction but solid block.

mules

Unread post by mules »

I have a set of JPW AP3 waiting to be refoamed here. I'm pretty sure they will rock when they are back up and running.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

How bad are the foams, are parts of it missing. I had AP2's. You can do temp repair with insulating tape for holes or splits and then spreading a rubber based glue (finger is best) around the whole foam surround. I did this and got another two years out of the drivers, they were still working well when I gave them to someone.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

For Jammy....

I use some pretty good cans at the moment, but there's something missing in the sound? I use a AP10H same as you. Can you recommend me something?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Grado! SR80 upward.

kimangelis
Great Britain

Unread post by kimangelis »

Done some reading. The 80's get superb reviews. Does the performance increase notably with price, or does the curve flatten somewhat?
Primare CD22. Primare DAB/FM radio. SSP to NVA AP70 and AP10H(JS) with Denon AH-D7100's. LS5 to Cube2's.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Always a law of diminishing returns but the SR325i are exceptional. All the Grados are good including the SR60, but my recommendation is SR80 upward.