Cheap But Good Speakers.

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Cheap But Good Speakers.

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Andrew wrote:Err I think you might mean Snell K? SD1s are huge buggers. Massive bass unit and semi OB mid/ribbon tweeter.

Snell Ks look like nothing special. If anything you might be forgiven for thinking they look like a cut down AP2. They are significantly clearer though and have a real "snap" to the timing. Evetything just sounds so addictive and fast. The designer believed a speaker shouldn't store energy. Instead they should just release whatever is put through them. The Ks sound like he knew how to do just that. They aren't just for valve amps either, although some forum egos might wish to tell you otherwise.
googled it and you are of course correct :oops:

Andrew
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

I knew a bloke who had 2 pairs of SD1s rigged up using an ambisonic decoder in a small flat. He traded them for KEF 107s and regretted it big-style.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Docfoster had a bake-off at his place between those SD and NVA Cube1's.

The outcome was very clear. The smiley will tell you :grin:

It is in the archive somewhere, probably the old archive.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

I enjoyed my time (a few months) with SD1 - here's one of them posing with a Bowers Active One ...

Just stupidly good for the £220 I won them for on eBay.

Pretty as well, don't you think? :doh:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

southall-1998 wrote:Snells are perfect for the open minded ugly looking individuals. Like most of us on here :mrgreen:

S.
Snell 'E's' (with rear facing extra tweeter) weren't for me - really boomy bass, a nasty squeak at the crossover point if listened to a little too close up and a cheap tweeter jangling away on top - ugh! I replaced them with some NS1000's and, veiled as they were in my then setup, they totally annihilated the 'E's'

The only Snells I ever liked were the ones that looked like giant SBL's (C's?) and despite a lack of finesse as given by the best UK speakers, they did communicate most enjoyably :)
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Fretless
Netherlands

Unread post by Fretless »

My 2nd system features a pair of Arcam One speakers (the original version in walnut from the early 80's) powered by an equally vintage Sansui AU-217. The sound can best be described as invitingly warm and rich.
These speakers can be bi-wired although i've never tried it. Bought them originally with a Nytech CA252 which had an upgrade option of an extra power amp to do the bi-wire thing. Never got around to that as I traded it in for an NVA.

Upstairs:
Vinyl
Pro-Ject 1.2 + Grado Sig Jr + Cambridge Alva Duo
DigiVolumio PC + Kiss DP-500 + Sabaj A20d
NVA: Cube2 - SSP - LS6+ Sabaj A10a {x2)
Little Bear MC2 + AQ NightHawk
Downstairs:
Vinyl
Logic DM101 + Syrinx LE1 + Grado Sig MCX
DigiDenafrips Ares II + Volumio PC + Cambridge CXC
NVA: P50 & PSU - BMUAiyima A07 MAX + Arcam One
HP: Allo DigiOne + Sabaj A10d + AQ NightOwl
Office: Allo DigiOne SIG + SMSL M300se + Douk G4 (x2)
Mission 760 + Monolith 887 + German Maestro GMP 450

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

My Mission 751's were cheap n cheerfull if memory serves........... :think:
Mission 751 standmounts..png
Mission 751 standmounts..png (74.43 KiB) Viewed 3083 times

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I don't really know if they'd be considered properly "cheap speakers" but I reckon that the £127.00 I paid for the Epos ES11s in my second system ought to put them in the running.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Heybrook HB1's can be had for less than £50 - if you include £20 for the refoam kit that all the cheap ones on ebay need.

Whether you'd call them good or not depends on how ambitious you are when it comes to hi-fi and what you're comparing them against. They make an acceptable and pleasant enough sound, but they are not the last word in fidelity by any means.

For my money, I think it's well worth while spending an extra £200 to £450 to get something that would have been more high end when new.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

HB1s were one of my earliest speakers. I loved their clarity but their hardness on vocals was unbearable. And that was with vinyl. I traded them in after a fortnight for ES14s. To this date ive never had another speaker as uncomfortable to listen to, but they always sounded like the designer was close to something special.