Macca's System Blog

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Macca's System Blog

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Macca wrote:Richard what is your new address - I want to get to the post office before it closes and I can't find it anywhere. Western Ave was your old one wasn't it?
43 Ladbrooke Crescent
Sidcup
Kent
DA14 4RU

Make sure you enclose note with details of sale etc because there is nothing worse than me having to search for it myself.[/quote]

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

All boxed up note already enclosed....

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Well a pleasant few evenings this week listening to this set-up. Actually found myself looking forward to getting back from work and firing it up:

Yes I know the pre-amp needs a wipe over but you can't see all those marks it is just the flash.

The white hosepipe like Chord Odyssey2 is back in. It is actually really thin cable but is bi-wire and all runs through the one tube. I'm only using it as single wired, though.

This system isn't the last word in anything and I could still do with sorting out some more bass weight (and depth) but that is the price I am paying for using the Akais in free space. What I am getting is a lovely sweet, clear sound with every detail in the recording just presented out on plate. Clarity and sweetness of tone are my two most important priorities. If I don't have them I don't care how good the bass resolution is I won't be interested in listening.

Had a vinyl sesh Thursday night, sounded good, maybe a bit of splash on cymbals which is more than likely down to my ham-fisted cartridge set-up. not enough to ruin things, though. I'm trying to resist tweaking the TT a bit more, it is not easy! The Firebottle phono stage does deserve a bit better, though.

I don't want to make any more changes for now as I will have to move all the electronics upstairs when the builders come in. I will just move out for a fortnight and live in a travel tavern like Alan Partridge ;) But In the meantime might get the speakers down to Paul at RFC and have him take a look at them and see if they are working optimally. They sound great but you never know.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Any update on the blog.

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

Yep

remember when I said someone should really come around to witness it whilst I've got a good sound going?

Monday through Wednesday - sounds good. Thursday I was out, Friday night sounds bad again, in fact after a couple of albums I switched of and put the telly on. No idea what the issue is now, I'm starting to think I am cracking up....

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Is this upstairs or downstairs? And did you take the speakers to be fettled?
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well if nothing moved or nothing changed it can only be you or your mains. Well there is another choice I suppose, you have a Poltergeist :mrgreen:

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

It could also possibly be mood and/or ears changing. very unreliable things, ears...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Macca

Unread post by Macca »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:It could also possibly be mood and/or ears changing. very unreliable things, ears...
That's why I wanted someone else to have a listen while it was sounding good. Just so I had someone to confirm what I am hearing.

If it is the mains then it should vary so at some point it should sound good again....

At the moment sounds like the TAD system at Crangae...no delicacy, a bit hard, shut in in the upper mids. Seems to have got worse as the week went on.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Change the CD player to another of your options. Or does it do it on records as well.