AU-101

All general audio posts go here.
southall-1998
Wales

Re: AU-101

Unread post by southall-1998 »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote:The 101 was indeed a lovely little thing and (yep, I'm going to say it) better IMO than a lower caste Naim CB amp tonally (when used with straight normal mains - Nait 1 excepted).

The VERY FIRST PL12D's were very well engineered, but severe mass production set in and after a few months and especially with the mk2, the quality dropped off - rattly arm bearings, inferior lid, motor vibration coming through etc. etc. I readily agree on the PL12AC though :)
What were the speaker choices for the 101 back then?

No CB Naim.....You shake for me girl :mrgreen:

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

I'm not having any back-door anyone (can't help being a Zep fan) :-? :shock:

The Doc will elaborate better than I, but the Wharfedale Denton (nice original not the later squawk-boxes) and Linton, Celestion Ditton 5's and 10's?, Goodmans Maxims, KEF Celeste's, Cantor's and similar and a host of other little boxes now long forgotten I remember.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well I built my own speakers when I moved into a flat. Big concrete lined bastards with 15inch bass drivers. Stupid as it required 4 people to move them. The Sansui drove them with no problem.

southall-1998
Wales

Hooked up my AU-101 today. Surprisingly good sound coming out from this little retro amp. This Sansui does ''communicate'' fairly well.

It sounds good driving headphones too. I notice that I hear a very mild hum through the headphones with no music. It doesn't affect the music but is this little hum normal??

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

No, but headphones show it up more.

southall-1998
Wales

Yes, the headphones show it up more. Speakers show it much less, as I have to walk right up to hear it.

Any cure for this? Pity, as this is a nice sounding amp.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

1/ is the hum volume dependent or the same all the time - if volume dependent then the the problem is not in the power amp section.
2/ disconnect the inputs, if it still hums it is the pre-amp or power supply section of the amp that has a problem, if it doesn't then the problem is in the source or the leads carrying the source signal.

southall-1998
Wales

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:1/ is the hum volume dependent or the same all the time - if volume dependent then the the problem is not in the power amp section.
2/ disconnect the inputs, if it still hums it is the pre-amp or power supply section of the amp that has a problem, if it doesn't then the problem is in the source or the leads carrying the source signal.
With the CD player turned off, nothing changes. All the same.

With the CD player switched on. It gets worse at high volume. I've tried a different interconnect, same thing.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Possibly talking out me bum as usual, but early 70's amps weren't anything like as capable as modern ones and on some of them, a little hum was usual I think.

On the 101 though, old age is more likely to be the issue.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

And modern amps, the Brio-R I had for a while had quite a hum from the speakers. In fact I had two as I thought the first was faulty.