Hi-Fi Pics.

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Hi-Fi Pics.

Unread post by Lindsayt »

HB1's were only ever budget speakers. I never really realised quite how budget till I refoamed them, which involved taking the Vifa mid-bass unit out of the cabinet. It's clear that this unit was built down to a cost. Relatively lightweight cage and magnet. Relatively small magnet. I've not taken the tweeters out, but I have a feeling these were very much built down to a cost.

For £20 to £30 they will do a job. Vocals sound fine. Bass is tight. And they were significantly more dynamic than the KEF Codas that I compared them against when I bought them new in 1983. I think they're more dynamic than B&W CM1's too - but that's not saying a lot. When comparing them to £250 worth of vintage Sansui speakers the limitations of the HB1's become apparent. Most obvious is the sound of cymbals on some albums which are really Tss Tss on the HB1's compared to the more natural / realistic / wood on metal disc sound of the Sansuis. Bass is lacking in extension and physical impact on the HB1's too and they sound a bit dead and lacking in life compared to the Sansuis. It also sounds like my HB1's have a bit of a gap where the frequency response dips between the 2 drivers. Not sure if that's down to the design or the crossovers being original or both.

Still, paired with my £15 Denon CD player and my £26 Urei amp they make an acceptable sound for an ultra-budget £60 system.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I thought the vifa bass in hb1 was the same as the ones in my jpw Ap2 ? If so it should be magnesium metal frame . Additionally , I did read that acoustic suspension speakers don't need large magnets - due to increased efficiency - that may not of course be true or the whole story :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Both the Heybrook and the JPW were designed by the same guy - Peter Comeau.

Daniel Quinn

He also designed my Wharfedales . He must not read H/S cause he never took me up on my offer to come round and listen to my modifications that made them substantially better at little cost :lol:

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

@ Andrew,

Have you tried the JPW Mini Monitor speakers yet?

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Macca
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Macca »

Daniel Quinn wrote:He also designed my Wharfedales . He must not read H/S cause he never took me up on my offer to come round and listen to my modifications that made them substantially better at little cost :lol:
lol - probably cause he is in China and they won't let him go; otherwise I am sure he would be over like a shot. You should produce a white paper :lol:

Daniel Quinn

I may just do that :D

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

southall-1998 wrote:@ Andrew,

S.
Hi Shane. I did briefly (one afternoon). They were decent enough but I compared them to Royds which was a bit unfair. I felt they were missing a bit at the top end in comparison, but for the price new (let alone now) they were enjoyable and capable.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Andrew wrote:
southall-1998 wrote:@ Andrew,

S.
Hi Shane. I did briefly (one afternoon). They were decent enough but I compared them to Royds which was a bit unfair. I felt they were missing a bit at the top end in comparison, but for the price new (let alone now) they were enjoyable and capable.
Oh yeah, the Royds are in a higher class which I can understand!!

I like using my JPW Mini Monitor as PC speakers and placed near field! Very musical and extremely fun!!!

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Bumping this, following on from this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49773&p=184674#p184674