Hi-Fi Pics.

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Hi-Fi Pics.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Jimmy Hughes was / is a real oddball. Sometimes you could tell he had good ears and sometimes he seemed as if he didn't even have a brain. Spent a few evening there at the Barbican in his odd shaped flat. He must have about the biggest record collection on this planet, how he decides what to play is beyond me.

He destroyed most of his credibility with the Peter Belt thing and sadly became a bit of a laughing stock because of it. To my knowledge he wasn't bent, though he did have loads of loan stock.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Jimmy hughes wasted endless hours of my teenage years when I could have been out with girls , I would like to punch him [ not very hard though ] :D

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Peter Belt was a strange one alright - Had a wee chuckle at this....... :think: :lol:

When the men in white coats finally come to take me away, the psychiatric report will read as follows:

"The patient is a retired man who still does part-time work reviewing classical music. When interviewed at his home, he was affable enough but asked us to wait while he completed some adjustments to his stereo system. We observed him methodically taping a picture of a dog, a small rectangle of white paper with five pinholes in it and an aspirin tablet to the top panels of each of his loudspeakers. When asked why he was doing this, he simply smiled knowingly and said, ‘Listen to the sound.’

The patient’s wife said this was typical of his behaviour over the past few weeks. He had dismantled their expensive amplifiers and CD player, had smeared a mysterious white cream over their inner surfaces and had also attached small pieces of metal foils to the equipment’s cases. Although all of this was done quite safely apparently, the patient consistently refused to explain his reasoning to us, saying only that we wouldn’t believe him if he told us. His wife added that she had been required to spend more and more of her time listening repeatedly to the same small selection of discs for comparative purposes, and when the patient had insisted on putting two photographs of himself (a current one and another from his childhood) into the freezer compartment of their domestic fridge, she had decided to seek help….."

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I even bought two PWB products which seemed to work. One was the CD mat, which may have worked for more conventional reasons. It was a clear plastic disc with overlapping blue and yellow circles. If I still had it, I'd be using it to this day. I accidentally left it inside a player I sold.

The other thing, which I can't explain was electret cream. On the prescribed parts of my CD player, I did hear improvements. They were significant too, and noted by others.

There were other things I tried which weren't so successful. The spiratube to wrap around cables didn't seem to do a lot and the electret foils which came free with hifi answers seemed to worsen the sound.

Then there was the free sample of red and green labels, marked "property of the dominant male" and "property of the dominant female". You were supposed to stick these to objects such as hair dryers, microwaves, Household items. I must admit I never tried these because it just seemed daft :D

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Lazarus HB1

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Lazarus? Sorry, I'm probably being thick.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Lazarus was raised from the dead after four days according to the Bible, so I presume these speakers have been raised from the dead.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Cheers, Doc.

They always fascinated me but when I bought a pair I just couldn't live with a real hardness on female vocals. Karen Carpenter was all but unbearable. Such a pity because there was so much that was good. Nowadays I might've been tempted to tweak them.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Some could sound sweet, believe it or not, but when the bass unit was altered (I don't know whether by the driver manufacturer or Heybrook), they became rather 'spitty.' That tweeter didn't help as bad 'uns could sound very scrappy IMO.
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Looking back, they seemed to have a lot of the things I later found to work so well in the Snell K. The Ks just sound so sorted though, I've never found a thing I don't like about them. I just love the things.