Hi-Fi Pics.

All general audio posts go here.
_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Re: Hi-Fi Pics.

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

One comment Andrew made way back in this thread which has come back to bite me severely where the sun don't shine - the fact that returning to gear many years on (and hopefully in good working condition) can change one's mind about the items re-acquired. Speakers do change over time though (ferrofluid on some models' tweeters dries out and takes the sting away ;)).
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...

wiicrackpot
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

_D_S_J_R_ wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:26 pm Speakers do change over time though (ferrofluid on some models' tweeters dries out and takes the sting away ;)).
Does that mean Naim SBL's are coming into their zone now, always wanted to try a good pair of mk2's at some point. :-? :grin:

HNY Dave. 8-)
Frank...made me do it.

_D_S_J_R_
Wales

Unread post by _D_S_J_R_ »

Those Scan-sqeak chrome platers never had ferro-fluid in that model I remember (the foam fronted version Spendor and Pro-Ac did I think, reducing the whistle the standard one has in abundance. I'm sure that twenty years will have possibly tamed them a little, but you'll need gasket kits and a bit of savvy to restore Essss Bee Ellllllssssssssssssssssssssss (see, I'm doing it again ;) ) The mk2 bass units with cast baskets were a huge improvement on the £6 M-S made drivers though I remember...

It was Classicrock and his then Mission 752's that did it for me to start with. By the time he got the, all the original 'fizzle' I remember from many new ones in the store had been aged out and the bass was easy to sort by getting them the right distance from the back wall...
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way...The time has gone, The song is over, Thought I'd something more to say...