Ask a designer

All general audio posts go here.
John P Taylor
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Ask a designer

Unread post by John P Taylor »

I saw this thread which seems to be full of advice sought from and given by an audio designer. It would therefore seem to be the right place to ask his question because I'd like to be able to assess what weight said advice carries. I have seen many instances of "expert" advice given on many forums, but rarely gathered in one thread. A repository for such advice could be a valuable asset if the source is credible.

John P Taylor
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by John P Taylor »

CN211276 wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:31 pm Seems very fishy, especially in view of the timing.
What timing exactly? If the good Doctor is unavailable, can't one of the people here advise of his qualifications?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

My products and my customers are my qualification. I think I detect yet another one has joined.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

On second thoughts I have lost patience with all these shits, I can guarantee this is another snake oil audio nob joining under false name - so gone.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Anyway if he had the ability to search the archive he would find his answer. I am self taught, no qualifications in electronics. But from a hobby in my teens through working for companies and starting my own companies up to now that *empiric* experience has been over 50 years. Almost identical history to Julian Vereker.

I am called the Doc because of Marco, he called me a muppet and changed my name at AoS (when I was a member) to it. I thought it was laugh as my fav character was Dr Bunsen Honeydew so I assumed it as my forum name. Seemed quite appropriate.

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

FWIW I taught strategic information systems management to Masters level, co-authored the UKs best selling undergraduate textbook in my field - and have precisely zero qualifications in the subject. But I do have a shed-load of practical experience and many satisfied students in some very senior management positions. So yes, the 'enquiry' comes across as very disingenuous.

Geoff.R.G
Great Britain

Unread post by Geoff.R.G »

There is a huge difference between formal learning and informal.
The person who is able to learn from their experience and findings is usually, though not always, one to be respected. The Doc seems to be one of those and is to be respected for it.

I have met many with engineering degrees who were unable to do anything practical and it isn't everyone with a degree in electronics who can build their own designs. I know others who can build and design.

CycleCoach
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by CycleCoach »

Only tangentially relevant, so apologies.

A while back, when I was living in Yorkshire I decided that I wanted to become a beekeeper.
Over the period of the next few months, I read every modern textbook on the subject, entire back catalogues of all the relevant magazines, and attended many courses.
Some time later (when i was "ready,") I went into a field on my own with a veil and a smoker and lifted the lid on a busy hive...
That was the day I realised that I knew F all about beekeeping even though I probably could have passed an exam on it!
And it was the day I began to actually learn a bit.
These users thanked the author CycleCoach for the post:
Lindsayt (Fri Apr 07, 2023 12:16 am)
I think I might be in the HiFi trade.
I am not currently seeking treatment for this.
Current System: Linn LP12 Lingo Ekos Troika, NVA PHONO2 with BBPSU, NVA AP20 (White), Quad ESL 57s &/or NVA Cube3s (White)

savvypaul
Great Britain

Unread post by savvypaul »

My old boss once said to me...

"Everyone can have clever ideas, the important people are those that can also implement them"
These users thanked the author savvypaul for the post:
CycleCoach (Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:20 am)
I am in the hi-fi trade
Company Name: NVA Hi-Fi
https://nvahifi.co.uk/

Simon Hickie

Unread post by Simon Hickie »

Anecdotally again, I've been a semi-professional photographer and am still an active camera club judge. Again, zero qualifications. When I was the competition secretary for my local camera club and chaired the selection panel for external competitions, I found that those who questioned the qualifications of panel members tended to be those who's work was not up to the standard required for selection.