Overpriced s/h items

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Overpriced s/h items

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

As discussed on the Tannoy DC thread lets nominate the most stupidly overpriced items on the second hand market at the moment.

My votes are.
1 Tannoy dual concentric drivers
2 Any manufacturer BBC LS3/5A
3 Any ilk Linn LP12

Daniel Quinn

Re: Overpriced s/h items

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

any naim amplifier.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Sorting the hi-fi listings in UK ebay by most expensive 1st gives as an Ongaku amp for £79,000.
Is it over-priced? Difficult to say. There's every chance it's a very fine sounding amp. It'd be interesting to compare it to a £2000 all-out custom built / homebrew valve amp.

Dartzeel integrated solid state amp: £10,000.

I'm not that keen on the Focal speakers that I've heard. £8k to £25k for a pair of their bigger speakers!

You might have a point about Tannoys: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tannoy-Monito ... 20d09c3b96

There's a pair of Marantz 9's on sale for £14.4k. For some of these vintage items you're paying for their rarity and collectability more than their sound quality per pound spent.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

With really rare items I don't mind Lindsay, as often investment in these things brings more return than other investments. Though the classic car market investors caught a cold a few years ago. It is the normal regular items like LS3/5a that have been bullshitted well beyond reality and the sheep who are willing to pay those prices that irritate me. I could put up another thread about unsung bargains. My classic was the Pioneer PL71 TT. Five years ago I bought one for about £45 (foot missing), that is equally daft the other way. They are now getting near their true value which I would put at £4 to 500.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oracle-Audio- ... 810wt_1172

Well whadda ya know............ :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

This is well overpriced, rip off merchandice off the highest order.........Although some may differ........ :dance: :lol: :dance: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Really Jammy you know if you take a slab of wood and slope one end to the corner "stylishly" it puts £2000 on the price :mrgreen:

jammy395

:idea: Could'nt you slope the corners of yer NVA range - Designate them say NVA-D (designer) - And target the rich & Gullible........ :lol:
Could be onto a winner Doc...... :whistle: :hand: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its not in my personality Jammy, I leave that for others. I have too much respect for the companies history, it has *never* ripped people off.

jammy395

That Sir is the exact response i knew i woud get................. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

There's no doubt that the LP12 has been over-hyped and over-sold, but there are record players that cost more 2nd hand that sound worse to me. For example I'd rather have an LP12/Ekos/Lyra than a Sme 20/12a/Koetsu. And on that basis the LP12 wouldn't make it into my hi-fi Room 101.

Similar thing with Tannnoy DC's. For example I'd rather have them with a decent push pull valve amp than Linn Majik Isobariks actively driven by a pair of Linn 4200's.

The Naim Nap 250 amp is decent enough, if a bit over-priced. When you get to the top of the Naim range the pricing does reach Dartzeel levels of daftness.

I like the modest claims made by Naim and Oracle. "The NAC 552 is by some distance the most advanced Naim preamplifier ever and has some claim, therefore, to being the best preamplifier, period." and "The Paris turntable ... from top to bottom. The only thing from the Paris that is similar to what we have done in the past is its design signature, everything else is a total redesign resulting from our studies that lead to the development of the best turntable in the world … the Oracle Delphi Mk VI."