FoTF Royd Speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

FoTF Royd Speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

we should definitely have this one to gather in all the separate threads.

Yomanze
Been thanked: 0

Re: FoTF Royd Speakers

Unread post by Yomanze »

I recently picked up a pair of Royd Sorcerers, which appear to have the updated drivers used in the SE & Revelation series. These are very small, but weigh 9kg each. They've been a speaker I wanted when I was younger. These retailed at £600 in the 90s.

They are wonderfully 'immediate' speakers that just get to the soul of the music. They are a little ragged, obviously not as flat response as my Argon 3s, and don't go deep, but they just chuck out music in a convincing, believable and 'direct' (brash, even at times) manner.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

That is Royds in a nutshell, they just make you smile.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

I'm still yet to hear a Royd speaker, I have never ever heard a bad comment about them.

Yomanze

Unread post by Yomanze »

Given your tastes in amplification I would think trying some Royds is pretty mandatory Sovereign.

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

I'm curious as to what you all think of Rega Elas, given their Royd association. I have had a pair of mk1s constantly in either my lounge or bedroom system since 2005. They are my longest lasting piece of kit and I have always loved them. I just find them so enjoyable. The only Royds I've had are a pair of Minstrels which I liked but couldn't get excited about and a pair of tatty A7s that I use for testing items.

I've been tempted by Edens and Sintras in the past but it just never happened. Still time yet though :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Early Rega speakers are Royds, Joe Ackroyd designed them.

Shevans
Great Britain

Unread post by Shevans »

I have a rare pair of White Minstrel's, they are staying. Only negative thing about them is the grills are in white so you can make out the drive units and I think it makes them look untidy, might recover the grils in black :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Then they will be the Black & White Minstrels - ta da!! :D :D :D

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Andrew wrote:

I've been tempted by Edens and Sintras in the past but it just never happened. Still time yet though :)
A good friend of mine (he was Best Man at my wedding as it happens) has a pair of Sintra II's which I keep trying to twist his arm to sell to me but to no avail. Trouble, as he lives in a flat with paper thing walls he hardly uses them, listening mainly over a Stax headphone system. Theyr'e glorious little speakers.

I quite fancy trying Ela's at some point - I believe the Mk1 & 1.5 both used the Royd drivers, with the Mk2's using Rega's own. I once borrowed a pair of Rega R1's which were great fun - not quite Royd in their presentation but not that far off. Great fun - bubbly, effervescent little things with lots of bounce.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6