FoTF old Exposure Amps

All general audio posts go here.
Gromit
Has thanked: 0

Re: FoTF old Exposure Amps

Unread post by Gromit »

What ^Terry^ said - drop Tony Brady a line at Exposure and he'll help you out no problem.

I'd hazard a guess that your XV is quite a late one, mainly down to its style of script on the front panel. The first XV's had the bolder type.

An early XV...

Note the different style of case too - your XV has the later single-plate panel whereas the older one has a 'box' like front. This was the same as the original X.
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Andrew
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Andrew »

Sovereign wrote:
jammy395 wrote:Sov were off back to the 80's i think.......It was a 2010 i think (integrated).......Not sure what that is in Roman Numerals........ :lol:
Now i aint heard any new Post 80s exposure gear so perhaps its a lot better than it was..I think applemark posted a pic of nice new mono beasties....Looked nice anyway..
And i say flat earth 2 Cause if the dealer couldnt get you to buy a Naim He would try his best to flog you a Exposure,,,,,, :think:
Mags and the reviewers sang their praises highly........... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:
Now I understand, the large following is for the Classic era, I would say that the 2010 is not one of those, you want to listen to IVDR or XVI monos or VIII or XVIII monos or VIIo or XI or XIV pre amp. Very very good amps indeed. Never herd their integrated amps though.
There was something about my A80/40 combo that I really liked, more open, more agile and more engaging.
I've had a lot of Exposure amps from the Farlowe era. I wasn't really keen on the integrateds though. The Dual IV was a brilliant amp, especially with the III preamp. The later has a fab phono stage too. I tried adding a massive IX power supply which was beautifully built but really didn't make much difference.
I remember having a "shoot out" when I owned the Exposures, a Naim 250 combo and a Linn LK1/280. Although I was using a Naim CDI and SBLs, I thought the exposure combo was a clear winner. I still miss those amps at times, although I wouldn't sell the amps I have in order to get them back. Think I'm a closet hoarder....

Andrew

Unread post by Andrew »

Slightly off-topic but related to my post above, the little AP20 also did things the 250 combo didn't and it was only the 250s bass that won out in that little exercise.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

Came across the old Exposure forum today searching out some information.

http://web.archive.org/web/200102110006 ... timate.cgi

Might be of interest to anyone wanting to know more about this period. There's not a great deal of content though. A few Royd threads as well. Incidentally, John Farlowe has a Facebook page. There's a few photos of him in front of Naim displays in Asia!
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000

wiicrackpot

Unread post by wiicrackpot »

Nigel wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:11 pm Incidentally, John Farlowe has a Facebook page. There's a few photos of him in front of Naim displays in Asia!
Had a look due to your heads up, thought he was one of the greats but won't be visiting his FB page again,
not my cup of tea, i'll bite my tongue as it got me into trouble before. :-?
Frank...made me do it.

Nigel
Wales

Unread post by Nigel »

“Good hi-fi is all about hair-raising and spine-tingling listening experiences.” John Farlowe

I see he worked with and designed equipment for The Who, Tull, Bowie, Pink Floyd prior to his Exposure days.
Technics SL1210 (Timestep power supply, Mike New Bearing) Audio Origami RB300 / Dynavector DV10x5
Pioneer DVD300 / Topping E30 or AAAA5 cd player.
Audio Innovations Series 500
Heco Direkt Einklang
Headphones - Musical Fidelity A1 / AKG K1000