My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: My hifi is a disaster 1 problem at a time .

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Alas no , not my rabbit to shoot . :D

Daniel Quinn

Alas , As somebody who shall remain nameless beat me to the garrard 301 I have more tales of woe and meanderings of an idiot .re my hifi

Recently , my origin live dc motor controller had been speed fluctuating during listening , it may have developed a fault or it may be the new maxon motror I was using is not entirely compatible . Anyway , whilst pondering the next step , I saw one of these on ebay http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/dc-motor- ... s/0440492/ . Going for a £10 plus £3 postage if I won . 3 hours left and no previous bidders .

Well I won and it arrived Saturday, billy bargain . It looks beautiful inside and as plenty of components , unlike the origin live which as 10 components, thats it .
To cut an entire Saturday short , Well eventually , I’ve reduced it from spinning the platter at 200 rpm to 34.1 .

It requires a Wall wart to work , it says 12v . Wiring it up with 12v in it span at 200rpm on the lowest output . By luck I had a variable DC wall wart and reducing the voltage in to 4.5 v dc it span at 45.4 rpm , reducing the voltage in any lower and the platter speed goes below 33.
So its spinning at 45.4 rpm and i don’t play singles . What was I to do . :doh:

I used my rudimentary electronics knowledge and thought , I could reduce the voltage to the motor by fitting a resistor at the output stage and I had a few wire would resistors . After several hours soldering different combinations , a 10w 10RJ resistor on the positive terminal was the closest to ideal , reducing the speed to 34.1. which is less than 1% fast but I think slightly audible on some tracks more than others .

On the plus side , the speed is rock solid . After letting it run for hours , turning it off and on several times it always reads 34.1 on my laser chronograph .The origin live used to fluctuate + or - .2 rpm frequently during measurement . Indeed I used to put this fluctuation down to the inaccuracy of the chronograph .

So now , I’ve ordered a big bag of wirewound resistors of ebay with differing values and 33.3 rpm here I come . :pray: :D

Daniel Quinn

Well my bag of wire wound resistors arrived , 70 of the white ceramic beauty's for £8 and so began my quest .

Well after sorting them out , I popped in a 7w 22 ohm in to the circuit , between the positive output voltage and the positive wire to the motor and lo and behold 33.3 :happy-cheerleaderkid:

left it for an hour and still 33.3 , so I soldered on to the output stage , fixed it with some hot glue and there we have it a turntable now running at 33.3 :D

Daniel Quinn

This post was supposed to be an update on the replacement of the cheap bi-polar capacitors in my simple crossover with some audiophile copper ones . I'd even taken some before and after photos , However once again :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-screaming:

I have snapped the ffffffffffffffffffffffiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn cantilever of my benz micro ace sl . :doh:

I have to be biggest moron in hifi forum history .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

THE most irritating thing in hi-fi is breaking a stylus. Lots of people have got away with claiming for it on their house insurance.

Daniel Quinn

Excess and increased premium will mean this is hobson's choice . Dom can fit a replacement , but with a trade in reduction , his price is £50 less than a new one .

Its my own fault as I broke my rule , do not fiddle with the arm unless the cartridge is secure in a box in another room !!!

I am of on holiday for 10 days this weekend [ all inclusive hotel in spain , its for the kids honest ] So I will just get constantly drunk and remember the good times we had . :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nope! not good enough, you have to take your laptop and use the hotel wi-fi to send us a blow by blow holiday blog on who has drowned, who has fallen off the balcony, who has sun burn, who has Spanish tummy, etc etc.

You can title it "My Holiday is a disaster 1 problem at a time". :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Only kidding, couldn't resist it. Have a brilliant and peaceful (some hope with kids) time.

Daniel Quinn

Doc , I actually meant the good times I had with my deceased benz .

I couldn't possibly be without H/S for 10 days and my laptop will be travelling with me . I may even start the suggested thread . :D

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

TRUE.....my mate said........ :naughty:

Walked into a dealer's sampled all the Koetsu cartridges... settled on a Jade sig (4K).

Promptly wiped it on his jumper to get the fluff off the stylus and fuked it big time...............All hell ensued as you can imagine........ :doh:

Daniel Quinn

Hello subjectivists , well i'm on the very sunny island of palma majorca at an all inclusive hotel which is best described at Butlins with sun :snooty: , at least the children like it .

A few impartial empirical observations from the first two days -

being from the north , my body is just begining to understand what vitamin e is . :lol:

I am the only english man here without a tattoo and most of the women have them :o

the scottish men all appear to be involved in a compeititon as to who can grow thier belly the largest before it will explode , ala Mr Creosote in the Meaning of Life

50% of people misunderstand the concept of "all inclusive" wiht all you can fit and eat on 1 plate .

female flesh losese its mystery and allure when it is abundantly on display .

hif world is still full of shit even when read in the sun .

banging on the door repeatedly at 1am and shouting c'mon maria let me in , I only wanna sleep , i wont crack yea" did not pursuade maria .

No hifi to speak of alas, the sound in Manchester airport bar was lousy except for one particular song with female voice and the opne air stage pa is conjested and bass heavey ,although to please Gromit , I am happy to report there was no discernable soundstage . :D

some good news , i found a benz on german ebay and i am currentky the highest bidder as this is apparently the only way i will get one before a pram a cot and plethora of pregnancy paraphenalia . :o :D

enjouy your listening you lucky people .