record cleaning

All general audio posts go here.
guydarryl

record cleaning

Unread post by guydarryl »

Dear all,

Just mentioned to my wife that I would quite like a record cleaning machine for Christmas and wasn't shot down in flames :dance:

I have read around a bit on the interweb and the Okki Nokki seems to be well regarded. Any experiences/comments/alternatives - not silly money.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1
Sony cdp xb930, Alessandro ms1

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: record cleaning

Unread post by jammy395 »

Yep got some experiences with em....But ive been on a trip...!!!!
And cant be bothered at the moment :think: :whistle: ................
Would love to share this with you.... :)
Last edited by jammy395 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Cheapest ResinW you can buy. Mix 3 parts ResinW with one part water. Use fine paint brush and brush onto record making sure it gets down in the grooves. Leave to dry for 24 hours and then peel off = clean record.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Wood adhesive? Interesting.

That does solve one of the major problems I have with a lot of RCMs -- they are so fookin' noisy!! :shock:

Isn't it a bit messy, though, Doc?
Do you use this method? How do you organise it?
A detailed blow by blow account would be of genuine interest!
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

There are various videos about showing people doing just that, probably Youtube I'd guess. Not much use for the quick clean before play senario though.
I have a Moth II Pro that I picked up second hand for £100. On the plus side - it does a bloody good job, very quickly, but on the negative side - it is big and it is effing noisy when on the suction cycle.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

zebbo wrote:There are various videos about showing people doing just that, probably Youtube I'd guess.
Aha! - yup, this looks like a decent one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z61k5UAWev8

These guys don't seem to dilute it, though - just squirt straight from the container - seems easier to me. :think:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Looks like that is for really dirty records. But it is similar to prioprietary solutions I've used for cleaning camera lenses (and a glass cleaning cloth I know will help clean xbox games and often make them work when not reading - same should apply to CDs).

I've tried warm water with a little washing up liquid with some success - but obviously that runs risks of residues (I would wash, rinse and them pat with kitchen towels to get the bulk of the water off.

I've heard the effect that Keith Monk's machines have - very good, but unobtainable (I actually missed a chance of picking up a second hand one years ago :crying-yellow: ) VPI, OKKI NOKKI and Moth seem similar. Now I'm tempted by the manual/bath cleaners - they are cheap enough and use the same (proprietary or DIY) solutions. I guess the problem with them is that they operate vertically and rely on soaking the disc in a bath and scrubbers to get into the grooves - so does the solution really get down into the groove when not helped by gravity and can the scrubbers cause damage?

Not much help I know. I'm also tempted to see what the microfibre cloths that make a good job of cleaning my spectacles, removing dirt and nose-grease might do to LPs - obviously would need one with a bit more nap on than the ones for specs.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

guydarryl

Hi Doc,

I remember buying a PVA based record cleaner over 30 years ago :cry:
Seemed to work quite well but needed to be put on quite thick or traces of film were left in the groove.

Reason I am interested in a wet cleaner is that I was a smoker several years ago, and not sure whether the film mask method would remove old smoke haze/tar build up.
I have seen "Sondek's" posts/photo-micrographs on various forums and it does seem very effective at removing dust/lumps.

Thanks to all for replies, I will have a ponder/experiment.

Guy.
LP12, Ittok, DV10X5, Phono2(twin supply), P50SA , Art Audio Quintet, LS5, SSC, Rega Ela mk1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

It removes *everything* including the record label if you are not careful. If you left traces of PVA behind then you didn't leave it long enough to dry.

guydarryl

Hi Doc,

Just ordered 1 litre resin w from Amazon (£7.99 inc delivery). I will give it a bash and report back.

Any recommendations for new inner sleeves (plain paper/polylined/whatever).

Thanks. Guy