Bi Polar Speakers.....Anyone.

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Bi Polar Speakers.....Anyone.

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sounds plausible, thanks for the inf.

Obvious a confusion between dipolar and bipolar.

bipolar
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by bipolar »

It's common!
The Wharfies pictured cant be bipolar cos the drivers arnot on opposite poles The idea is to build a big soundstage using back reflections. All they do is squirt (sorta)stereo down opposite directions Two of the directions might meet if your luucky

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Hey, welcome to the forum Bipolar Boy!

Yep, what you say sounds right.
Bipolar speakers are designed for surround sound duties along the side wall for the Home Theatre crowd, really. Is that right?
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

These were designed before rear speakers existed, AFAIAC they are semi omni. A full omni is 360deg these and the Wharfedales are 180deg so semi omni. Though to mention these in the same breath is really daft as the ARs were / are seriously good loudspeakers.

http://www.vintage-speaker-review.com/2 ... r-lst.html

bipolar

Unread post by bipolar »

jandl100 wrote:Yep, what you say sounds right.
Bipolar speakers are designed for surround sound duties along the side wall for the Home Theatre crowd, really. Is that right?
That is not exatly right Mr jandl. The bipolar config was around before H.Theater came about but they have been usaed like this since. Mostly I think because it was handy that it did what they needed from a speaker forthe sides. Some speakers from the U.States have used this. take the Definitive Technology speakers and the Mirage M1 SIs that was the speaker of the decade for Ab. Sounds magazine.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Mmmmh definatly some debate as to the term Bipolar..... :think:

Am impressed with them though sound sweet, and pop up on ebay quite a bit for next to nowt..... :clap:
Wharfedale wh2.jpg
Wharfedale wh2.jpg (54.79 KiB) Viewed 2202 times

bipolar

Unread post by bipolar »

definatly some debate as to the term Bipolar
No, Mr Jam the definitions are clear and well documented.
I am afraid that the only debate is over whether you understand the differences described and I think you do not. Perhaps this is because I and Mr Dunn have not been describing the differences well enough. Now I will take great care to try not to make it difficult to understand.

The loudspeakers you show are not bipolar you can choose to call your head a fish, but that does not make it so! Wharfdale and others choose to call those types of speakers bipolar – but that does not make it so.

ExplainWhen you think of the planet earth it is clear that the poles are at opposite ends of a one single axis and that the poles are 180 degrees apart.

A bipolar speaker - identical drive units mounted on front and back baffles and they are connected in phase. Output is identical front and back – push/push – push from the front at the same time as push from the back. Sometimes the bass driver is not repeated on the back panel so in this case they are only bipolar in the midrange and treble.

A dipolar speaker - output from the front which is out of phase with the output from the back – push /pull – push from the front at the same time as pull from the back and then vice versa. This maybe from a panel or open baffle or sometimes from a box with one or more extra drivers wired out of phase.

As Mr Dunn says, the Wharfdales and those famous Acoustic Research speakers he showed are omni-directional but the drivers are not at opposite poles of the axis so they can never be bipolar.

It happens to be that bi- and dipoles are also omni-directional. But being omni-directional does not automatically make a speaker a bipole or dipole.

I hope this helps to bring you to understanding of the ideas.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Terrific explanation Mr Bi-polar , except the sentance about the earths poles whose relevancy was lost on me . :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I thought it was a disorder :mrgreen:

Yeh yeh I know but spring hasn't arrived and my humour is the only thing keeping me sane or stopping me going on holiday again :(

bipolar

Unread post by bipolar »

Daniel Quinn wrote:the sentance about the earths poles whose relevancy was lost on me
:think:
With the planet Earth the poles are at opposite ends of a one single axis and that the poles are 180 degrees apart.
In bi-polar speakers the drivers are at opposite ends of one axis and 180 degrees apart. :D

Polar - From Googlig definitions i find Noun The straight line joining the two points at which tangents from a fixed point touch a conic section.
You can see it here
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=defin ... 40&bih=799