Been thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

Unread post by Ronin »

Found some info on the Magnums.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nope it is just low key (thank god) marketing twaddle. You can hear reality, they are efficient speakers. The CD101 for the money is brilliant at £20 on ebay, but if you get a new one get one with a volume remote or control, then you have no problem. The CD player has too much output for the system. You can get an attenuated lead to go between CD and amp but I think they always mess up the music a bit, but that may be the only answer.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

OK thanks Doc .

should the pictures be deleted if the information is misleading.

The Eclipse has been a good workhorse (very reliable) and I know I could probably do little better.I've borrowed my BILs Old Nad Cd player (502 I think) a few times and that is definitely a step-up , but no volume control on it.

I'll just have to do some research and play about on the secondhand market.

The Magnum Ks are very much an open window, which can be a good/bad thing :D :( :think: more so than any other speaker that I've heard in my room.They make the Audio Note Es (that I've owned ) sound Muffled in comparison.I going to write a "first Impression" review ASAP.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Ronin wrote:OK thanks Doc .

should the pictures be deleted if the information is misleading.

The Eclipse has been a good workhorse (very reliable) and I know I could probably do little better.I've borrowed my BILs Old Nad Cd player (502 I think) a few times and that is definitely a step-up , but no volume control on it.

I'll just have to do some research and play about on the secondhand market.

The Magnum Ks are very much an open window, which can be a good/bad thing :D :( :think: more so than any other speaker that I've heard in my room.They make the Audio Note Es (that I've owned ) sound Muffled in comparison.I going to write a "first Impression" review ASAP.
Well thats the price going up at ebay :roll: :mrgreen:

Leave all the posts up it is all information.

Tim Catt

Unread post by Tim Catt »

I appreciate this is a relatively old thread but I was wondering if you considered recapping the magnums at all through out the process or whether you received any advice regarding this. I'm a complete novice to the diy audio world and I'm chomping at the bit to start work on a pair of recently acquired magnum k's.

Thanks in advance

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Try it and see and then tell us. Personally I like getting rid of crossovers (as much of them as possible).

Tim Catt

Doc, that's the kind of sleeves up, get stuck in attitude I like! I have a pair of wharfedale denton's I'm less fond of so will practice on those first and then promptly crack on with the Magnums! As you are familiar with magnum xovers, what would you consider getting rid of aside from the crappy Lpads?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Not done a three way which is why I made no recommendations. But the principle is as simple as possible. 1/ leave the bass driver full range and dope it to control its HF. 2/ leave the high pass filter on the mid range driver, add doping to cone if it has very coloured HF output. 3/ Just a protection cap (and a padding resistor to taste) on the tweeter.

Tim Catt

Doc, What you say makes sense but you're dealing with an idiot here :think: Please could you break down the process of adding doping?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Its in the archive.

In the search box on the header enter doping.