Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

All general audio posts go here.
Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

Unread post by Ronin »

Speakers are up and running and placed on some stands that I've made.The stands can be filled but I'm listening with them empty for the time being.What I have done though,is to take out the foam from the inside of the speakers because, i felt it just smothered and dulled the sound (if that makes sense) so i prefer them foam-less.I may experiment with alternative damping in the future.

The "new" re-foamed woofer seems fine.There doesn't seem any discernible difference between the newly re-foamed one and the original one (to my ears that is).

The alteration to the crossover was a success (see pics below- before & after) and actually quite easy to do .The pots are turned up to full position.I think with hindsight I would have left the pots as they were, and squeezed the new binding posts in just below the knobs,this would have given easier tuning access to experiment with the position of the pots and I wouldn't have needed to replace some of wiring for longer lengths :doh: (we live & learn) . I hope you don't find the pictures to confusing , I didn't have the same colour wires so I had to use some bits I had lying about (which was some DNM ).

Now back to the listening :violin:

Big thanks Doc for all your help :clap:

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just ask on this thread.

I'm hoping to give an opinion of how they sound in my system soon.At the moment I'm using a NAD Cd-Player and a Vintage NVA AP20 amplifier.I've refurbished a Manticore Mantra Turntable with Jelco tonearm / Grado cartridge and now I'm making a suitable wall support for this "bouncy bouncy" turntable so I'll be able to give my opinion of both front ends.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

:clap:

they look excellant . good bit of soldering that as well, :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Don't put any wadding back in. If you want to tighten the bass then line parts the cabinet with 1/4 inch steel plate.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

And I didn't say - they look really smart in that room setting. Like your wood block flooring.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Nice speakers and nicely hidden speaker wires in living room - Well done...... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

jammy395

If you want to tighten the bass then line parts the cabinet with 1/4 inch steel plate. (Quote Doc)

:liar: .....HONEST....... :think: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

(inside of cab) I have said it before, why do you question it, have you tried it ?

jammy395

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:(inside of cab) I have said it before, why do you question it, have you tried it ?
Werent aware youve said it before.

I dont question it - just surprised.

I aint tried it - And to be honest would never be likely to try fitting quarter inch steel plate to the inside of my speakers unless perhaps i was in the army and on a tour of duty in Helmand province Afghanastan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is one of Joe Akroyds tricks and works even with small speakers, it is to do with rigidity. Quarter inch steel plate is cheap and they just need to be glued in place with rubber based glue. Even better would be a steel cab, Townsend made some of those. I go for something more sensible in acrylic it has the same sort of musical effect of steel glued inside wood, but I think acrylic is better.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Daniel Quinn wrote::clap:

they look excellant . good bit of soldering that as well, :D
Cheers DQ I done my best, which has improved with a better soldering Iron recommended by the Doc.It's a Maplin temperature Control solder station (code N78AR) I've used a Antex XS25 before but it's not hot enough.Actually the only way I know if my soldering is any good is to listen to the result :pray: .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Don't put any wadding back in. If you want to tighten the bass then line parts the cabinet with 1/4 inch steel plate.
That sounds interesting,tightening the bass doesn't seem like an issue at the moment because there's not a lot of it :?: things might change with a Turntable in place :?: .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:And I didn't say - they look really smart in that room setting. Like your wood block flooring.
Thanks Doc,the wood is 1" Canadian maple reclaimed from a gymnasium (150yrs old). I had to clean every T&G and belt sand the face. I then pre-drilled holes (burnt a few drill bits out) for it to sit on wooden joists,then nailed it and coated it with three layers of Bournseal 20yrs ago, it's still got a nice deep shine today.I guess it was a labour of love :)
jammy395 wrote:Nice speakers and nicely hidden speaker wires in living room - Well done...... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Just for you jammy :lol: