Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

All general audio posts go here.
Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

Unread post by Ronin »

I purchased these speakers from the “secondhand” market to match my NVA AP20 on recommendation from the Doc (Mr. Dunn).

They are probably older than I am?. I have found no reviews and very little literature on the Goodman’s Magnum Ks .

I intend to modify the speakers with guidance from the Doc, and anyone else who would like to oblige .Big Thanks.

This is my first project; I am a complete amateur (and this includes writing) who has become disillusioned with the quality and cost of modern Hi-Fi and as a result, I’ve decided to explore the secondhand market and share my thoughts and experience with anyone who’s interested.

Goodmans Magnum K

Speaker Dimensions.

Size: 608mm (H) x 378mm (W) x 284mm (D)

Weight: 20kg per speaker (approx)

Firstly I like to express how well put together the Goodman’s Magnum Ks are. The cabinet work is excellent. There are layers upon layers of hardwood ply; must be an inch thick, topped off by a quality Teak hardwood veneer on all sides apart from the back and most of the front; “Teak is considered a very valuable wood because of its ability to withstand weather. It even prevents any metal used in it from rusting. Teak is very stable, which means that it does not warp when subjected to variations in humidity and temperature”.

The cabinets are well screwed together using lot’s of quality screws, Nuts, bolts and obviously a high quality glue because; there are no detectable repairs that I can see, even after some 40 years!. (un-like a pair of Ruarks that I had which proudly displayed the “Guild of Craftsmanship” badge and were only 2 years old when the splits appeared on the cabinet work ), I would say that this is an achievement in cabinet building.

At the back of the box you can gain entry via 16 Phillips type wood screws & Cup washers. The panel is well sealed (with a beading of glue it looks like) but , with some persuasion you can prise it open. There is no other way of getting the cloth grilles off at the front (if you wish too) than to go in at the back.With the plywood back panel removed, a 3 inch thick slab of sponge covering all the back area greeted me. The sides and top are also padded by 1 inch foam/sponge.

ImageImage

The crossovers are on a small piece of plywood which is secured to the back panel using 6 small mushroom-head screws, there is also a layer of foam/sponge between the crossover panel and the rear panel ,I assume it’s glued because I can’t remove it even after the screws have been removed.?.
On the back of the speaker there is some kind of tone adjustments that can be made to the Mid & Top via 2 black plastic knobs.( The Doc has advised me to remove these and install some speaker binding posts).I assume this would also involve reconfiguring the crossover ?.
ImageImage

There are 8 Bolts / Nut’s for the Front covers and even a bolt & Nut for the Goodman Badge. The covers are high quality (again, I say this because due to the fact that after some 40+ yrs they have not rotted away). The covers are black with a random white fleck running through the cloth. I guess the covers where designed to be acoustically transparent due to way they are fixed on?.
The cloth grills sit in a 20mm recess.
ImageImage

I don’t really know much about the drivers (or even if they are original ) but, there are 3 altogether , a 12” Woofer which looks like it’s made of Paper .It’s supported by a substantial alloy basket and a large ( 160mm diameter) magnet. The surround of the driver hasn’t perished away so I’m assuming it’s not made of Foam. There is a Mid driver (which again has a large magnet) and a Tweeter, and these too, look like they are made from some type of woven paper. Every part is stamped “Made in England”
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Goodmans Industries

1946. From The British Trade Journal. March edition.
Goodmans Industries, maker of loudspeakers and electronic equipment, of Wembley, Middlesex and Havant
1925 Company founded.
1933 Private company formed.
1936 Name changed.
1961 Electrical engineers and manufacturers of radio components, public address equipment, loud speakers and electro magnetic instruments. 650 employees.
1968 Maker of loudspeakers, tuners, and amplifiers at Wembley and Havant. 78% of Goodmans' ordinary shares were owned by Radio Rentals and 22% by The Plessey Co Ltd.
At some point there was a management buyout
1986 Tannoy (loudspeakers) and Goodmans were merged to form TGI[1]

“That’s All Folks”.

But, I will add more information as an when (if this is OK with the Doc / Jason)

Gromit

Re: Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

Unread post by Gromit »

Fantastic! Look forward to seeing/reading more. 8-)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

selby

Unread post by selby »

Really interesting as I'm currently looking for a pair of these!
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

All genuine and original - how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.

No crossover alterations required, just take the wirewound pots out of circuit. If the crossovers need some tweeking to your ears I will explain - it will just be fitting a wirewound resistor.

The early versions like yours have much better cabinets than the later ones (K2 and SL) that changed construction to chipboard, but the later ones have a domed tweeter which is marginally better than the cone drivers you have. Also the later ones had 4mm sockets as the Din sockets on these are a disaster, both technically and musically.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Gromit wrote:Fantastic! Look forward to seeing/reading more. 8-)
selby wrote:Really interesting as I'm currently looking for a pair of these!
Glad it was of some interest to you Guys.I will try to up-date as I go along,and I will attempt to describe how they sound in my room.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:All genuine and original - how much did you pay if you don't mind me asking.
Don't mind in the least Doc.They cost me £50 and the chap was kind enough to box them and ship them to me :D

Don't know if this price is good or bad.But don't really care considering all the money I've wasted on Hi-Fi over the years, this is just a "droplet" in that ocean of diminishing returns :doh: :roll:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:No crossover alterations required, just take the wirewound pots out of circuit. If the crossovers need some tweeking to your ears I will explain - it will just be fitting a wirewound resistor.
Sounds easy enough Doc but, remember I'm a complete novice and I need to improve my soldering skills first (as you well know from the Pic's in the PMs I've sent you).
I may put some pic's up highlighting what I need to do if that's OK (just wondering how much space I'm allowed?)

I hope I won't become to much of a nag :teasing-blah: :sleeping-sleeping:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Use as much space as you like, it is part of what this forum is for.

The price is very good, especially for the material quality of what you have got.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Cheers!

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

For the pots, if you're looking to replace them, could you set them by ear to get the tonal balance that you like, then measure the resistance with a multi-meter, then replace the pots with similar value resistors?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

He doesn't need to. The pots are to cut mid and / or treble, so the off position is no attenuation so no resistor required. I was just saying it was an option if he needed a tone adjustment to use a fixed resistor as the problem with these wirewound pots is contact resistance especially when the speakers are this old. He also need the holes vacated by the pots to fit 4mm speaker sockets.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Starting new thread Magnum K's part 2
Last edited by Ronin on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.