Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Goodmans Magnum K (part 1)

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think in future when we get a "asking for help" thread it should be limited to the OP and the person asked to provide the help. Perhaps we need a new room for it.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It has gone to PM with Ronin to stop this confusion, when he has something to say I am sure he will post.

Ronin
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Ronin »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I think in future when we get a "asking for help" thread it should be limited to the OP and the person asked to provide the help. Perhaps we need a new room for it.
That would be a good idea.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It has gone to PM with Ronin to stop this confusion, when he has something to say I am sure he will post.
The thread did become a little confusing for me:roll: .And I can see that there has been a slight conflict between the Doc and selby over my subtle hint to selby regarding :text-threadjacked: .And that's all it was,a hint, I was hoping you would do the honorable thing Selby and take a back seat.

Perhaps in some ways I am to blame because of my naivety regarding forum etiquette (is there any on here?)personally, I apply the same etiquette that I use out in the real world to any forums in "Cyber World".
Selby, do you not think that you were "gatecrashing" and upsetting this thread with your bombardment of question to the Doc :think:

I set out to make this thread as easy to understand as I possible could for people like myself (who are complete novices).

Don't take this the wrong way Selby,it's a shame to fall out over such triviality.You are welcome to view and take as much information from this thread as anyone else but, please try to refrain from asking lot's of questions which confuses and disrupts.

You are welcome to PM me anytime and we can have a chat about the speakers that way ;)

The Doc's a busy man and I appreciate the his input on this thread, and it would be a shame to lose that.

Hopefully we can move on from this and tidy up this thread by deleting unnecessary posts.

I hope Selby you'll agree :dance:

I am not great with words and I hope I don't sound patronizing in any way.

Lets just put it behind us and move on.

I've asked Jason if I can clean this thread up by deleting what I don't want but,I wanted to ask ,firstly,how do I do that ? and, I wanted to ask if you (Selby) and Doc can do the same.

Sincerely,

Ronin

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

OK cleaned up, it is now your thread and hopefully it will stay that way.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

I have completed the modification on the crossover to allow for the use of 4mm banana plugs but, there is a snag, I have a problem with one of the Woofers .There is very little sound coming from it and sounds distorted.

I asked the Doc for his advice and this is what he said;
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Push the cone evenly (so you don't push it to one side) and if you hear a scraping noise then you have a problem, if not then it is still more likely something you have done on the crossover.
Unfortunately , I heard the “scraping noise” so, the Woofer needs to be repaired or replaced :| .
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:It can only be caused by the speaker being overdriven and the varnish on the voice coil bubbles with the heat.
I have contacted “Wembley Loudspeaker” to ask if the Woofer can be repaired and how much it would cost. I await a reply :pray: .

I feel that given the circumstance, it would not be right to add any more information to this thread at this time.

But, I would like to say that I believe the Modification was a success because, even with the one Woofer down,
what I was listening to, was by far the most transparent window to my music that I have ever heard ( and thats with CD ).
And for this reason, I am so excited and await with baited breath to hear these speaker at their best :dance: .
I am quite optimistic so, as soon as they are up & running, I will add more pictures/information regarding the mod’s and give my humble opinion on how they sound.

Please keep tuned and thanks for reading.

Cheers ,

Ronin

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Ronin......Well done my son...... :clap:
With only one woofer may i suggest - Decca's early mono productions, and once you get yer second woofer try the stereo versions........ :lol:
Hope it works out well for you - please keep us posted.
Jammy.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Given the right amplification Magnum K and Magnum K2 are hidden gems at silly prices. A bit like small JPWs but more so. And if you find any and you have the room Magisters are crackers to.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

jammy395 wrote:Ronin......Well done my son...... :clap:
With only one woofer may i suggest - Decca's early mono productions, and once you get yer second woofer try the stereo versions........ :lol:
Hope it works out well for you - please keep us posted.
Jammy.
:lol: Thank you jammy.That's valuable advice indeed :lol:

I think I'd rather listen to one speaker than the "stereo" pair they are replacing :lol:

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Given the right amplification Magnum K and Magnum K2 are hidden gems at silly prices. A bit like small JPWs but more so. And if you find any and you have the room Magisters are crackers to.
I like to add, that if you go for the Magisters make sure you've had your extra weatabix to lift them :)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I found you some replacement drivers, I have PM'ed the link as If others bid then they wont be a bargain.