Snell K's for sale at AoS

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Snell K's for sale at AoS

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

IMO the original Snells are better, but they are *definitely* better value.

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Heard a pair a few years ago with several different valve amps. A great match with valves IMHO. I liked them very much. As Jason says though, not a rock speaker, though they excel at everything else.

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Crackin Pair o speakers......Wish I had the room for them.......Price - great. 8-)

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

Doc if you have heard the Minstrels, which I have, are these Snells better ? I did have a set of Audio Notes on demo for a while and they were excellent, with valves though

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Different, per usual, both good, but Royds have something a bit special about them. Though the thing that irritates me about Royds is they are musically small, what they do is brilliant but the don't have scale. The Snells give a greater sense of scale. But if you want scale and Royd music you need Cubes :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

What are the Cube 3 's ? What model is it similar to today?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There isn't, they were a very small speaker (too small which is why I wont include them in the new range) with 4.5 inch driver. Anyway old Cubes are not in the same class as new Cubes. It is the 20mm acrylic cabinets that make the new ones much better.

Anyway off topic, I should never have put the aside in.

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Ninanina wrote:Doc if you have heard the Minstrels, which I have, are these Snells better ? I did have a set of Audio Notes on demo for a while and they were excellent, with valves though
FWIW I used a little Sugden A21 ( original 10w class A amp ) with my Snell K's a good combo indeed. Super midrange especially vocals but for me just a little too laid back especially once you have had Royds. I just like an edgier razor sharp crisp sound something Royds with NVA do superbly. Not everybody's cup of tea of course but it does me !
Yes Cubes do scale big time - it is 3D wall of sound something no other speaker I have heard does. Demo if you can.