Speaker Veneer

All general audio posts go here.
selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Speaker Veneer

Unread post by selby »

Anyone know someone who can replace veneer on speakers? Not looking to repair but completely replace with a new style wood.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Daniel Quinn

Re: Speaker Veneer

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

There are lots of firms who do this , but they tend to be craftsman and are expensive .

You can buy iron on veneer from many places . Jammy recently bought some ipl [diy] speakers and they came with iron on veneer so he can tell you if its okay , but as he is quiet , i suspect he is now back in the middle of the north sea for a fortnight.

selby

Unread post by selby »

Problem is these already have old black veneer or probably vinyl, guess you peel that off and put new on....was just an idea to make some old speakers look nicer...think the solution might be to get some nicer looking (missus friendly) speakers in the first place.
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

My Business

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

I've been thinking about this myself.

I came across this site.

http://www.valeveneers.co.uk/products.html

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

I've used the IPL stuff and it is good. I rushed mine a bit but they still came out nice, with a little more time spent you can get lovely results. The only thing I would say is that you're far better off with a good old, heavy, non-steam iron ours was nowhere near hot enough. I would have thought the old vinyl wrap would come off fairly easily if heated but there would be a lot of cleaning and prepping before you could start fitting the new veneer. All in all, considering all the dismantling of the speakers and the time it's all going to take I'd go for a new set of speakers! (unless you're very attached to your old ones).
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

I have a mate, Colin Topps, who builds speakers and will veneer your speakers no problem. No idea what he'd charge, but I can put you in touch with him if you like. I have a pair of bookshelf speakers he built for me, and very nice the are too. Here is an example of his work

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthre ... =edingdale

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Hi my missus says she aint going to iron my speaker vaneer in case she mucks it up and i shout at her...!!! :snooty:
So as Scots men dont do ironing unless single of course.... :lol:
I am off to look for some sticky back vinyl.
will let you know how i get on asap.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

jammy395 wrote:Hi my missus says she aint going to iron my speaker vaneer in case she mucks it up and i shout at her...!!! :snooty:
So as Scots men dont do ironing unless single of course.... :lol:
I am off to look for some sticky back vinyl.
will let you know how i get on asap.
Well not many people get a ride home from work in a helicopter for the weekend, just for some mince and tatties and toons.

Tony Moore
Great Britain

Unread post by Tony Moore »

I can certainly also vouch for Colin Topps, he built a pair of FH3 Frugel Horns for me a while back and the finish is superb. He went to great pains to ensure that the colour and finish was exactly what I wanted. :clap:

selby

Unread post by selby »

Please PM the details for Colin Topps, might be useful as I'm interested in getting sone bookshelf speakers made.

My Business