Audio and homeplug

All general audio posts go here.
antibob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Audio and homeplug

Unread post by antibob »

Hi All,

Noticed a wireless music streaming device today called 'Simple Audio Roomplayer'. Nothing to do with meercats. http://www.simpleaudio.co.uk/products/r ... omplayer-i

It seems to use the homeplug idea to transfer all those bits around the home to other devices, it can use ethernet as well.

Just wondered if transfering all that digital info around the home in mains cable may cause problems, interference or something ? Or is it just all ones and zeros at the end of the day ?

I'd be interested to know what you knowledgeable folk think.

Thanks
Bob

shevans
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Audio and homeplug

Unread post by shevans »

I had a pair earlier this year but took them back to the dealer. As good as any CD player / Sonos / Squeezebox device that I owned and was able to compare the Sonos & Squeezebox at the same time. The SA Roomplayer was better but the software was flawed in a major way. There was noise at the start of each track, between tracks and loud ticking noises coming from the roomplayer. Turned out that I had pre-production devices and they had since been tweaked and the software is being updated. I have been in touch with them very recently but still not convinced to get another.

As to Homeplugs, I'm a radio amateur and the early BT Homeplug devices killed the mains with noise, they do create noise on the mains (to transmit/receive) but I have never experienced any noise issues with the Roomplayers. They did however pick up the motor noise of my Freezer.