Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

:?:

selby
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Do you listen to Hi-Fi or music

Unread post by selby »

Def music as I don't have HiFi yet...... :D
My Kit – I moved to home theatre setup sorry...Denon SR7011, Anthony Gallo A'Diva SE Fronts, SpeakerCraft Profile AIM LCR3 One Rears, BK Electronics XLS200-DF MK2 Sub, Epson Projection.

But I would love a cheeky little AP10, AP20 sort of amp for a bedroom setup...

My Business
Oracle Storage / Mezzanine Floors

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Very interesting question this one. I'm sort of writing up a review of my new royd priors and quite alot of it so far is blether about this very subject. In general I reckon perfect sound reproduction is trying to trap a ghost. I don't expect my hifi to produce a like-live experience, nor infact is that what I'm looking for. In my living room I select a piece of music depending upon how I feel or how I want to feel and I want my hifi to make it sound right (to my ears, in this room, at this point in time.) I find if I'm listening to where a particular instrument is placed on the sound-stage, or I'm trying to follow a particular line, then my hifi isn't making it sound right.
However it's quite hard to write a review of a piece of hifi hardware without going into all that sort of stuff. :?
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Good one, to be honest I find myself listening to Hifi at times as I always want to know how things sound and what I can do to make it sound better, that's the fidling hobbiest in me, I love it.
The other 80% of the time I'm listening to music and enjoying it.

fafarskid

Unread post by fafarskid »

I listen to hi-fi sometimes to control it sounding good or what to improve. It is everything for the music.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Well, being completely honest, I reckon I am listening to the hi-fi for probably most of the time. I DO like hi-fi as a hobby and am interested, (and often amazed), at the differences in the way that various pieces of equipment interact with each other. I will often get more into the music when it's being played on a portable radio while I'm working! However, having said that, when I'm in the right mood with the right music and the hi-fi is on song I'm completely immersed so some and some I suppose.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

When you get a good recording on a good system you forget about the system and get totally captivated by the music - especially if it's a recording you've not heard before.

When selecting components in bake-off mode I'm listening to the hi-fi. When I think something's not right - eg stylus dirty or getting worn out - I'm listening to the system. The rest of the time the hi-fi's just a tool for getting the most out of my records, CD's, tapes.

I do find that I enjoy a good recording of some music style that's not quite my cup of tea to a below average recording of a style of music that I like. For example, I enjoyed a Little John reggae master tape more than I enjoyed a Verve CD.

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

I listen to music, which I want to sound as good as possible within my budget.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Ninanina

Unread post by Ninanina »

Well music for me, and more so since I've had the NVA. I guess if I go into 'improvement mode' then I'm listening to the hifi just to see if I think I can tweak it a bit further :D

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Now I'm just listening to music, as my system satisfies me more than I'd like it to.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum