Equal Speaker cable length ?

All general audio posts go here.
Ronin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Equal Speaker cable length ?

Unread post by Ronin »

I know this may seem like a daft question for all you experts out there but,I've always wondered :think: do we really need equal speaker cable lengths. :text-blondmoment:

I've done my own experiments with some cheap Hi-Fi I had lying about.

I had a 5 mtr length on one speaker and 1mtr length on the other.

Could I hear any difference "no",Kate bush's voice appeared at the same time and there wasn't any noticeable difference in sound quality so,I just don't get it :roll: :doh: are my ears faulty :think: and, before I go and steal some NVA cable from one of my speakers to use internally on my "new" (old) speakers , could someone enlighten me as to the reason we need equal lengths and I should not do the above :mrgreen:

If I do the above will it damage my NVA Amplifier or my speakers :confusion-shrug: :angry-extinguishflame:

So,feel free to humour me guys.

Fire away :violence-snipersmiley:

Cheers

Ronin

jammy395

Re: Equal Speaker cable length ?

Unread post by jammy395 »

Na ya dont need equal speaker cable lengths........ within moderation.
2mts one side and 12mts the other might be pushing it though.
Im sure one of the more technical minded chaps will explain better...... :doh: :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Depends on the amp and the cable, but NVA cable and amps don't worry.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

The equal cable length thing was pushed by UK hi-fi magazines in the early 1980's. With some amp / cable / speaker combinations it may make a small difference. In a lot of cases I'd expect any differences to be swamped by manufacturing tolerances causing the left and right speakers to be slightly different to each other. Also, how many people have symmetrical listening rooms? I don't think I've ever seen one.

It's the sort of thing that I see as no big deal. Use different length cables if you want. Use same length if you want.

Another point the magazines used to make was: avoid coiling excess cable. Can't say I've ever noticed any sonic effect from a few untidy coils.

Ronin

Unread post by Ronin »

Thanks for your input Guys.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Depends on the amp and the cable, but NVA cable and amps don't worry.
Would you like to elaborate Doc :mrgreen: (i don't really know the meaning of this smiley he just looks mischievous)

Would valve amplification be more susceptible to un-equal lengths.
Lindsayt wrote:Another point the magazines used to make was: avoid coiling excess cable. Can't say I've ever noticed any sonic effect from a few untidy coils
well,I've a 5 metre pair of NVA cable, and 4 metres of it is coiled on one side.Can't detect any discernible difference though. :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Probably, higher the output impedance the more it will be effected.