Synergy

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Synergy

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

The Class D thread, the valve threads, the cable threads - so many different opinions. So can anyone deny synergy is probably the most important fact, and actually finding people and systems (or even manufacturers) where the synergy has been worked through.

Well I am moving on in my head away from system equipment synergy to individual preferences / individual synergy. The varying preferences and results we see must lead us to this conclusion. Systems that I know I wont like like the class D ones, or valves working with big Tannoys, being raved about, there must be an expectation synergy involved. The only two other explanations are the person involved is deaf, or just hasn't developed his music / hi fi experience far enough.

Or perhaps I have been wasting my time for 40 odd years :? :shock:

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Re: Synergy

Unread post by jammy395 »

Wow this could be a good thread.......Give me time to ponder.........Back soon........ :think:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

To avoid this thread being at home on PFM , lets define our terms before we begin . :D

Accordingly , what the bloody hell ,Doc , is an expectation synergy ? :think:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

You have an expectation of what your system *should* sound like, as opposed to being open minded towards the music.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

They are largely Hi-Fi *things*, I am not interested in hi-fi things - we need to look at this in musical terms.

If you just listen to your system to analyse it in hi-fi terms them we have lost it the way a majority of reviewers and others who *intellectualise* the musical experience do - it is a dead end and a waste of time - it is all about the music.

Those *words* may affect the music but they are not *the* music.

Is a piano in tune, does it even play the right notes, is the singer using chest or throat etc etc etc etc etc etc

Though perhaps you have hit the nail on the head, perhaps it is people who concentrate on *hi-fi things* that get lost and lose the music for the effect and so can end up with daft systems.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Maybe we should all get out more,i once took a pair of LS3/5A's i was selling to a prospective buyers house for him to try.He was using some Linn can/saras not sure which,they had two bass speakers one up the arse of the other.He thought they sounded marvelous,but i thought his system sounded absolutly bloody awful.
Needless to say he didn;t like the LS3/5a's.Just goes to prove one mans meat etc...
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Well... I honestly have no idea how would I like my perfect system to sound like. But I can hear if the upgrade makes it better, and, for example, upgrading my amp to NVA was a huge step forward, but when I borrowed Bushmaster DAC from a hifi store which is a bit more expensive than my V-DAC II and it sounded different in some areas, but the upgrade wouldn't be worth it, so I didn't take it. It's just mix and match thing for me - whenever I find something interesting and worth the price, then I'm happy. Though lately I've no intention to do any changes in my system - now I'm just enjoying the music :whistle:

What I already know - I love neutrality, but not dullness, so I can enjoy music from different genres. And the 'musicality' that makes you enjoy the sound, like NVA and Royds do right now. THAT factor didn't appear on NVA + Tannoys 633 combination, apart from the fact, these are dull speakers for me anyway :(
Last edited by Anesthetise on Fri Oct 19, 2012 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well if a piano wavers or sounds out of tune it ruins everything for me, no matter how good the rest of it is, which is probably why I hate the Linn LP12 and Regas and most belt drive turntables.

You are not missing the point, I just think we have been hoodwinked by *so called* experts for so many years using hi-fi terms in reviews - and the clones and sheep repeating it on forums, that we need to look at things differently. Gromit was brilliant at this and we have largely lost him at the moment to his Piano and Motorbike. A review from Gromit was worth 1000 expletive aggrandising announcements from the likes of Marco et al.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Sorry to be lawyer but Doc , your question is confusing and to boil it down .

What you say [ and must mean ?] is you don't understand why people like systems you don't like and there 3 explanations for this.
1] they are deaf , listen to wrong thing , i have different aural preferences /have been kidded
2] they lack experience
3] expectation synergy :lol: [ which i love ] essentially means there kidding themselves it sounds good .

As a subjectivist , i would say expectation synergy effects us all [ even you ] and the reason people like different hi-fi and there is no universal truth is a complex mixture of all three .

Edit - as i was posting this , you have responded with your gromit post , but im going out so I can't be arsed amending it , still looks relevant :mrgreen:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I am not making conclusive statements about anything, I am stimulating discussion.