Synergy

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: Synergy

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

apologies .

my date is late - so from my perspective , I want a hi-fi that does what this guy says , the rest is willy waving .

You know the human being is a strange creature. We are talking now. I talk to you, you talk back to me, and there is something going backwards and forwards between us, communication of information, this is reality. When we go to a concert, the singer or orchestra on the stage cares about how the audience feels, this is an interaction in reality. You go to a concert because you want this kind of interaction or reality. The communication of the note structure as it goes up and down, or moves from major to minor key, when they are singing or playing is communicating emotion and creating an emotional reaction in you the listener. And my voice when I am talking to you, and the inflections I am putting in my voice, are communicating to you things about me that are not in the words. That is what all forms of sound are, the music of life.....and the problem I believe with Hi Fi is we have lost the ability to perceive this reality or to compare what we are hearing with the reality and communication of real life. All the time we are walking around or working we are listening to reality. Yet when we go home and switch the Hi Fi on, we also switch into another part of the brain in order to actualise and intellectualise the experience.....we sit there thinking "wow, what a beautiful holographic image; you know that high frequency is really clean, and the bass is really deep" do you think this at a concert? NO you have an emotional experience! You are just there, and you perceive it. :clap: :clap: :clap:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Blimey :shock:

I wrote that nearly 25 years ago.

wallace
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by wallace »

Now Danny Boy you Really should get out more.... :shifty:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

It is nice to have someone posting here to be young enough to still be having "dates" :shock:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I really do want to re-iterate that it is musical differences that matter, not hi-fi differences. We need to get away from the stock reviewer speak phrases and start to refer to how it affects music not equipment. Equipment is just a means to an end - the end is music, and that is what we should be referring to when describing system performance.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

I'm getting a bit concerned that on this forum at the moment opinion is polarising a bit into the "if you don't agree with me, then you are wrong" kind of discussion.

We are all here for the love of music and the interest and passion in the equipment that can be used to reproduce it in our home.

No-one here is deaf, or incompetent at listening and forming valid opinions. No one.
It is disingenuous in the extreme (not to mention effing rude and insulting) to even suggest that.

It would be a damn shame if this forum degenerated into one where only one set of opinions was allowed, without fear of holders of alternate views being told they might be deaf.

May I humbly suggest that some of us here (OK - I'll include myself) need to have more respect for the views and experiences of others, even if they do not align with our own. :)
Last edited by jandl100 on Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

figlet108 wrote:Isn't it just a question of different peoples' subjective priorities?
Yup, that is very important, imo.

As an example, MartinT on AOS likes BIG music. I shared a few very enjoyable hours with him in his home recently. And his system is extremely capable of reproducing that. Fabulous, actually! :clap:

My preference is for somewhat smaller scale music. My system isn't bad at big, but it cannot do BIG the way that Martin's can. Which is a bit of a shame because I like big music, too. But my tastes and preferences extend more into smaller scale music than Martin's. And I would humbly suggest that my system does that end of the scale better than his does.

I am pretty damn sure that Martin would not swap his system for mine. And the same applies t'other way around.

All of us tune our audio systems for our own personal listening preferences.
No system or audio component is perfect (and we probably wouldn't agree on what 'perfect' was, anyway!), and we all have to satisfy our own personal set of listening priorities.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Expectation Synergy......!!

Well if someone buys a system cause all the reviews he read, said the system sounded great, and was Five stars / First class....... :liar:
When he gets it home, all set up and sits down to listen to his fave tunes......They would in my opinion have a little E.S. about them............. :whistle:

They may well percieve their system sounds a lot better than it truly is, but after a while must surely wake up and realise..oops somethings not quite right here... :doh:
At this point cause the System Synergy is probably all screwd up......They start to tinker :naughty: .......Change wires - change plugs - Change this - Swap that.....
Dig the Snake oil voodoo out an give it a right good sprinkling......... :snooty: Fools - its too late for that ( You have fallen for their bullshit ) you cant turn a Sow's Ear into a Silk Purse. :(

Best start again - This time build a system with yer EARS. :clap:

Anyway Its Saturday and Me and the Missus have our big shop at Tesco - better dash. :dance:
Hope the above makes a little sense....... :pray: :dance:

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

I think a musical synergy complements and enhances a system synergy ie if you get the music sounding right your hi-fi is pretty close behind.
I found this some time ago and illustrates Richard's point about hifi review v's musical review

http://www.musicworks-hifi.com/music-ba ... valuation/

Likewise a person's musical talent and ability also affects their hifi view eg my son is very musically talented and regularly points out musical flaws (pitch timing etc ) to me while the vinyl is spinning. I couldn't sing for my dinner but do know when my system is musically good :?

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

jandl100 wrote:I'm getting a bit concerned that on this forum at the moment opinion is polarising a bit into the "if you don't agree with me, then you are wrong" kind of discussion.

We are all here for the love of music and the interest and passion in the equipment that can be used to reproduce it in our home.

No-one here is deaf, or incompetent at listening and forming valid opinions. No one.
It is disingenuous in the extreme (not to mention effing rude and insulting) to even suggest that.

It would be a damn shame if this forum degenerated into one where only one set of opinions was allowed, without fear of holders of alternate views being told they might be deaf.

May I humbly suggest that some of us here (OK - I'll include myself) need to have more respect for the views and experiences of others, even if they do not align with our own. :)
Your playing games again Jerry, that is the total opposite of what is going on here. No one has denied other opinions.