Synergy

All general audio posts go here.
Lindsayt
Nauru

Re: Synergy

Unread post by Lindsayt »

jammy395 wrote:A big bag of the worlds classiest components still wont sound good without..........SYNERGY. :hand:

But i think i get yer drift Lindsayt... :lol:
Well in that case I would say that it's quite possible that - depending on the components you're talking about - they might be world class in terms of price, but not in overall sonic ability.

OK, looking at the bits I have in my home:

Sources: Studer A807, EMT 950, Denon DN-C640. The Studer and the EMT are good. The Denon is average to good, but hey it's only a CD player. All 3 are different. About as different as you can get in sources as they play different recording formats.

Amps: Coincident Frankenstein, Avondale homebrew, Urei 6290. One's a SET amp, one's an 80 watt solid state amp in the uber Naim mould, one's a 300 watt ex-cinema solid state amp. The SET and the Urei are at opposite ends of the power spectrum for amplifiers.

Speakers: Bozak Symphony, EV Sentry III, EV Patrician 800's. One's a coned sealed box, ones a horn hybrid, the other's a corner horn.

Where's the synergy in my sources? What amps and speakers are most synergistic with them? None inparticular. They each sound like what they sound like with any of the amps and speakers I've tried them with so far.

Moving onto amps and speakers. Traditional wisdom would say that synergy would be with the SET amp and either of the 2 EV speakers. And yet the Sentry III's sound equally good, but different with the Urei. Different strengths and weaknesses - although to be honest there's not a huge amount of difference between them. We're talking about icing on the cake differences between my amps with these speakers. Traditional wisdom would also say that the SET would be borderline for driving the bass cones on the Bozaks - and yet the bass with this combination is better than the bass from my Linn Isobariks with either of my solid state amps. I would rate my Briks as average speakers.

Chuck the Studer together with the Urei and EV Patricians and it sounds very good. No particular thoughts on synergy there. Just 3 good components doing their stuff. Put the Studer with the Coincident and the Bozaks and again it sounds very good. Swap the Studer for the Denon with any of my amps and speakers - and hey a significant drop in sound quality. Nothing to do with synergy. Lots to do with the limitations of CD's and this particular player.

jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Synergy

Unread post by jammy395 »

Swap the Studer for the Denon with any of my amps and speakers - and hey a significant drop in sound quality. (Quote - Lindsayt).

Yep it would seem the Denon is not SYNERGETIC within your system........ :think:

:hand: :lol: