Onix OA21

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Onix OA21

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Nytech, Onyx, Ion and many others, all victims of the Linn / Naim flat earth shut out from the 80's and 90's. The way it was done is these companies were "allowed" as long as they didn't take too much business from Ivor or Julian, if they did the reps were instructed to ask the dealer "do you really think this is a good product", code for get rid of it, and the dealers complied as they didn't want to lose or compromise their Linn or Naim accounts. And in some cases there was out and out warfare with competitive product sabotaged by the reps especially if people were saying it was better. This happened to Pink Triangle.

I could with time compile a list of over 30 companies finished off by this process, or who went export to survive.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Nytech, Onyx, Ion and many others, all victims of the Linn / Naim flat earth shut out from the 80's and 90's. The way it was done is these companies were "allowed" as long as they didn't take too much business from Ivor or Julian, if they did the reps were instructed to ask the dealer "do you really think this is a good product", code for get rid of it, and the dealers complied as they didn't want to lose or compromise there Linn or Naim accounts. And in some case there was out and out warfare with competitive product sabotaged by the reps especially if people were saying it was better. This happened to Pink Triangle.

I could with time compile a list of over 30 companies finished off by this process, or who went export to survive.
And, sadly, this pretty much sums it up - I myself was 'victim' to some of this back in the 80's at a (now long gone) dealer in Cambridge. They stocked Royd speakers - at the time they were fairly 'new kid on the block' but were nonetheless an interesting manufacturer. I went with a friend to audition some speakers at said dealer, and the Royds were high on his shortlist.

Dealer also stocked MS ms20's (a great little speaker - sealed box, simple with a large-ish bass driver) but all he wanted to sell was a par of Kans. Can't really remember the Royds but they were, imho, demonstrably better than the Kans. I stated my preference for the Royds at which point the dealer started putting more and more amplifier in front of the Kans to make them 'work'. I still didn't really get it. We left the shop, and no sale was made. Whilst yes the Royds would've been a great choice, we decided between us (friend and myself) to go elsewhere with our business.

Had the same situation when I bought my Exposure X - I'd got a CB Nait 2 at the time, had heard 'good things' about the Exposure (and always found the Nait chronically lacking in dynamic headroom, even with efficient speakers) so jacked up a dem at my local dealer. This was when I was living in London btw.

I asked the dealer to switch the Exposure on for a good hour before the demo, but in the end the amp was still sat cold on the showroom shelf when I turned up. Their own demo Nait was turnin'&burnin' when I arrived so clearly warmed up. Even so, after the first 20 seconds from cold it was obvious the Exposure was a better amp so I bought it. Bottom line is I firmly believe the dealer was clearly going to hard-sell me some more lofty Naim product.

Oh...had the same thing when I bought a Manticore Mantra turntable vs a Linn Axis. Dealer made the mistake of thinking I didn't have a pair of ears. :D
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

southall-1998 wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:The amp used was the one the dealer wanted to sell you or the one bullshitted in the Flat Earth magazines.
If you don't mind me asking please. Have you heard the Onix OA-21?

S.
Best bit of (well intended) advice is:

Buy an OA21 (they do come up every so often) have a listen to it. Like it? Good. 8-)
If you don't just sell it on - I'll almost guarantee you won't lose money on it.
Don't take others' words for how it'll sound - you may think entirely differently. :)
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Gromit,

Enjoyed reading your hifi dems of the past. Some ride you had there!

I now can remember reading somewhere that Joe Ackroyd (Royd) used an ION integrated amp with all his speakers. Can't remember the model though??

Do you still own an Exposure X?? To your own ears, how would you describe it's sound? I'm aware the X has bigger brothers.

S.
Shane Lonergan.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Gromit theme song - via The Vapours (one hit wonders)

I'm turning Japanese
I think I'm turning Japanese
I really think so

:mrgreen:

jammy395
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jammy395 »

Cheer's for the info Guy....Makes intresting reading...... :clap:

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Blast - double post. :oops:
Last edited by Gromit on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Gromit theme song - via The Vapours (one hit wonders)

I'm turning Japanese
I really think so

Oh yes Honeydew San. 8-)

A fine band were the Vapors - their first album (New Clear Days) was superb, really nicely crafted pop/soft-punk songs and a band that really could play tightly. 'Magnets' followed but whilst more sophisticated, never really has the raw musical spontaneity of the first record. A shame. :cry:

Shane - I haven't had my 'X' for nigh-on 10 years now, but it was a cracking amp. REALLY fast - it's not the last word in refinement but ye gods could it play music, it's as though its life depended on it. Surprising amount of grunt for 'only' a 35w amp. Superb phonostage (as was always the case in JF's amps). After this I went onto a Super XV - more refinement and a fair bit more power. It could really be just about all the integrated amp you'll need. Warning though: It won't be cheap as folk are discovering more and more how bloody good these amps are. A Super XV will make a Nait 2 sound 2-dimensional, gutless and show it up for the one-trick musical pony it really is (and yes I've done the comparison). I've had 2 Nait 2's and whilst yes it's a great little amp in its own way, the praise heaped upon it isn't justified imho.

If you can find one, a Super XV is IME the one to have - more refined, happier casting a wider musical net.

southall-1998
Wales

Unread post by southall-1998 »

Gromit wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Gromit theme song - via The Vapours (one hit wonders)

I'm turning Japanese
I really think so

Oh yes Honeydew San. 8-)

A fine band were the Vapors - their first album (New Clear Days) was superb, really nicely crafted pop/soft-punk songs and a band that really could play tightly. 'Magnets' followed but whilst more sophisticated, never really has the raw musical spontaneity of the first record. A shame. :cry:

Shane - I haven't had my 'X' for nigh-on 10 years now, but it was a cracking amp. REALLY fast - it's not the last word in refinement but ye gods could it play music, it's as though its life depended on it. Surprising amount of grunt for 'only' a 35w amp. Superb phonostage (as was always the case in JF's amps). After this I went onto a Super XV - more refinement and a fair bit more power. It could really be just about all the integrated amp you'll need. Warning though: It won't be cheap as folk are discovering more and more how bloody good these amps are. A Super XV will make a Nait 2 sound 2-dimensional, gutless and show it up for the one-trick musical pony it really is (and yes I've done the comparison). I've had 2 Nait 2's and whilst yes it's a great little amp in its own way, the praise heaped upon it isn't justified imho.

If you can find one, a Super XV is IME the one to have - more refined, happier casting a wider musical net.
Gromit,

Can you explain more about that please?

Yes, I'm aware of the Super XV and I see it still has a good reputation. Sadly I haven't heard one yet.

S.
Shane Lonergan.