Phono Plugs do Sound Different.IMHO....

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Phono Plugs do Sound Different.IMHO....

Unread post by wallace »

familyguy wrote:
wallace wrote:
familyguy wrote:I fitted a set of WBT 0110 CU plugs to my SSP and ended up refitting the original plugs which sounded better .
How many hours did you put on them before you changed back.I had over 50 on mine before i noticed the difference. :think:
You may have a point there Wallace . Possibly 10-12 hours . I may refit the plugs and try again . If I do I will share my findings here . Have to say though that the SSPs sounded excellent straight off with the original plugs fitted .
So did mine,but after youv'e been retired for a few years it gets harder to find something to do all day,and there is a limit to how many times you can take the dog for a walk. :mrgreen:
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

Lucky dog :D

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Plugs. Hmm. Yeah.

I had the opportunity to listen to identical cables but one pair had a 'conventional' but nice plugs, the other had Neutrik Bullet plugs which were more expensive.

Bugger - the Bullets sounded better, and not by a little. :roll: More open, better imaging ... :roll: . Damn.
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Did you try coating yer plugs in ( Snake oil Voodoo )......? :lol:
I did once and geuss what...
I heard fuk all difference......... :think: :hand: :whistle:
jammy

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Get rid of them all .

not one rca phono , speaker binding post or banana plug in my hi-fi and sounds much much better for it . :lol:

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

No - the bullets are different. They come with the normal (blue) acrylic plug casing, or a newer aluminium cover. I've used them in the past and have noticed a 'difference' utilising the same cable. I'd be hard pushed to say 'better'.

I had the Doc fit a set of WBT 0102 CU plugs to my SSP I/Cs earlier in the year: that certainly made a difference in terms of bass impact, but i suspect the overall balance had changed, and maybe not for the better.

I'm in two minds about cables/plugs. I believe I know which ones I prefer, but I can't make blanket recommendations because it's in the context of my system, My I/C of choice from source to pre is the Chord Indigo, but it's also stupid money. However, the best I/C between pre and power is the Exposure supplied one with XLR plugs (not balanced). Maybe down to the being a good connection; don't know, dont care. I've had minor improvements with cable swapping, but the best improvements have always come with better components, so I tend not to bother with cable faffing. I'd quite like a regenerator though...
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

You ought to be on commission :lol:
T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Well I really don't want to enter into this as in my days of developing the SC SP and SSP there weren't many choices and what there were, apart from the crap cheap ones, made bugger all difference. BUT someone has seen another way to make money so now we have silly priced plugs, which some people who I know are silly but also sadly some people who I don't think silly seem to think have merit in them.

Well I will stay a cable person and fit sensibly priced plugs that sound good to me, but I suppose if the rest of you wish to indulge then I will fit what you want - proviso - you buy them and send them to me for fitting.

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

Ah, but you keep telling us to use our ears, Doc. :mrgreen:

... and to my humble lugholes, Bullet plugs are where it's at - and it ain't a subtle difference at all! :naughty:

And I tried a £60 Furutech mains plug this evening ..... :doh:
... and sadly, that ain't subtle either! :dance:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Sadly if you are right then it increases our hobby price an awful lot :?