Phono Plugs do Sound Different.IMHO....

All general audio posts go here.
wallace
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Phono Plugs do Sound Different.IMHO....

Unread post by wallace »

At the risk of sounding like a certain Italian dictator,i have found that plugs do make a big difference.
I have been experimenting with plugs on my SSP coax lead.
First up was Neutric Profi, Loss of bass,not as good as the plugs it came with.
Last week i fitted a pair of WBT Nextgen 0114 cu's,these are new ones,no precious metal or unobtainium involved,£34 a pair.
I don't know why,but they have taken my system up to another level of detail.I am an amazed sceptic.
As SSP is such an easy cable to change the plugs on,can somebody else do it and tell me i am imagining it.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .
Sony Laptop,E-Dac, NVA AP10P, LS3,SSC,Royd Coniston R.Grado RS1

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: Phono Plugs do Sound Different.IMHO....

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

OH NO!! :shock:

If you are right you will give me loads of headaches, everyone will be after different plugs :?

I tell you what, you be the NVA test rig and tell me what plug I should fit :mrgreen:

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

One of the things I would like to play with in the future.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

I am still using a standard sound cord as my main i/c,as soon as my wifes pension cheque comes in i will try some on that and report back. :mrgreen:
The only reason i can see is that although they have a smaller contact area ,they have a vice like grip on the socket.
Sorry if this gives you a headache,my wife says i give her one as well...a headache that is.
Revox B795,,NVA PHONO 1,Teac PD-H500C,Squeezebox Touch,Bushmaster MKII,NVA AP70,LS5,Royd Minstrels i/c's SSC's. .

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

I fitted a set of WBT 0110 CU plugs to my SSP and ended up refitting the original plugs which sounded better .

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I knew it, that is why I think this issue is so divisive.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Since I have been offering them as an option I have had as many broken connections with the Neutrik as the standard plugs. It is more about usage than plug. It is breaking the habit of twisting the plug as you push the plug onto the socket, because of the cable rigidity that is what breaks the connection no matter what plug.

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

familyguy wrote:I fitted a set of WBT 0110 CU plugs to my SSP and ended up refitting the original plugs which sounded better .
How many hours did you put on them before you changed back.I had over 50 on mine before i noticed the difference. :think:

wallace

Unread post by wallace »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Since I have been offering them as an option I have had as many broken connections with the Neutrik as the standard plugs. It is more about usage than plug. It is breaking the habit of twisting the plug as you push the plug onto the socket, because of the cable rigidity that is what breaks the connection no matter what plug.
At least you can't twist the WBT's ,just put on and do up the chuck.
I'll get me coat now..

familyguy

Unread post by familyguy »

wallace wrote:
familyguy wrote:I fitted a set of WBT 0110 CU plugs to my SSP and ended up refitting the original plugs which sounded better .
How many hours did you put on them before you changed back.I had over 50 on mine before i noticed the difference. :think:
You may have a point there Wallace . Possibly 10-12 hours . I may refit the plugs and try again . If I do I will share my findings here . Have to say though that the SSPs sounded excellent straight off with the original plugs fitted .