Acoustic Energy speakers

All general audio posts go here.
slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Acoustic Energy speakers

Unread post by slinger »

Specifically the Radiance 1 which I see is on eBay going for £231.00 for "B"grade stock. I'm more interested in how they sound than how they look so "B" grade is not a downside if it knocks over £300.00 off of the MRP. OK, I could pick up a new pair for a lot less than the MRP with a bit of judicious shopping around, but still not as cheap as £231.00.

The question is, has anybody actually heard these speakers in a working system who would be prepared to venture an opinion on them? Yes,I know it's a subjective thing, and a lot will depend on the amplification involved, not to mention the source material but a simple "they sounded good to me" or "I thought they were crap" will suffice. Needless to say the reviews I've found on the web conflict nicely. :roll:
Should I end up buying them they'll be bi-amped with a brace of Arcam Alpha 8s, and replace a pair of Kef Q15.2s.
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

anguila
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Acoustic Energy speakers

Unread post by anguila »

Hello I bought a pair of b stock radience 1 speakers in black ash.Although b stock I could not find any faults with them.I used them with an Audiolab pre/power amp in single wire and also used the power section of an Audiolab 8000s to biamp them.Biamping did not seem to make much difference and overall I did not think they seemed like a £600 speaker.I also bought the Radience sub to go with them but I was not impressed overall.At the b stock prices it was an interesting project but if I had paid the full prices I would have been dissapointed.I managed to sell the speakers on at about the price I paid for them not so the sub which I still have.At the b stock prices worth a punt to see if you like them

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Many thanks for taking the time to reply anguila, that's exactly the sort of input I was looking for.

[EDIT]

I see a pair of Epos ES11s are up for auction tomorrow, maybe I won't get as far as ordering the Radiant 1s :lol:

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

Just a brief follow up - I'm now the proud owner of a pair of Epos ES11s, or at least I will be when they've been delivered.