Close to back wall speakers

All general audio posts go here.
antibob
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Close to back wall speakers

Unread post by antibob »

A quick physics lesson please.

I am looking to replace my speakers and possibly re-position at the same time. Currently using some charity shop floor standing mission things I've been using since my Wharefdale Harewoods got damaged by too many childresn fingers in a tweeter. The better half has gradually moved then further into the corner of our 3.5 by 4.7M lounge and they sound worse than they should which isnt up to much anyway.

I could leave where they are - approx 20cm from back wall and 30cm from side wall, but my limited knowledge leads me to think they would be better moved the other side of a TV (a plasma if that makes a difference) to be approx 1.5m apart and 10-15cm from back wall either side of a fireplace, not a chimney breast/alcove sitiation just a home made surround approx 10cm deep.

I understand certain designs may suit my situation better than others, such as front firing ports as seen on some Audio Note models. Or transmision line type like PMC's. A dealer recomended trying the PMC's and I know a coupe of members have them so would be interested in your views on positioning. My research has also led me to look at Audio Note and Rega both of which get the thumbs up from The Doc for their 'less is more' approach to crossovers, which seems to make sense, not sure if the PMC's fit into this category though. There are probably others I dont yet know about.

If anyone has any particular models in mind, I am wanting to go smaller, maybe a small floor stander or a standmount would be preferable, nothing too imposing. I realise I'm not going to get masses of bass but some will be better than others. Someone is bound to recomend cubes's or cubix but sorry they are not for me, I tried but cant get them past the home guard, no not even on a 30 day, no quible, money back gurantee.

I had asked for recomendations on other forums but when they learned of my preference for Eppings finest amplification I was told to try re wiring my kit with 3.5mm armoured cable and replace my plug top fuses with Chinese pencil lead. Just kidding...been reading this forum a bit lately......Von Gaylord, I ask you, havent they ever heard of Dick Emery ?

I'm looking forward to being educated, I'm no techie but have a little understanding so treat me nicely.

Thanks.

Sovereign

Re: Close to back wall speakers

Unread post by Sovereign »

Off topic, but great Avatar! I was a big Campagnolo fan in my former cycling career.

Epos ES22's are small floor standing speakers, I has them positioned about 25cm from rear wall, bass was very clearly defined and articulate, and they look good as well. You could also consider a sealed box speaker which is another good choice.

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

Heybrook Sextets look really smart and NEED to be positioned close to the back wall to produce decent bass. Can be picked up pretty cheap too.

........and re Campag, I still lust after a set of these: Campag just gorgeous.
Last edited by zebbo on Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol:

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Soverign's former cycling career ? :o

though i must agree , ive got a ribble cycles carbon road bike with campagnolo groupset . smooth and reliable .

speakers are probably the most personal of all hi-fi components , just look at forum members and I can only think of the doc and terry booth who use the same speakers . I would say , that's a fair size room for small speakers to fill.

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Of all the small speakers that I've heard that would be happy in corners and don't have masses of bass my pick would be Klipsh Heresys which have a very nice openness and life about their midrange and treble that was lacking in the Tannoys I compared them to. Klipsch Cornwalls (so named because they're designed for use in corners or against walls) would be other candidates. Yamaha NS1000's might also work well in your room. Or maybe vintage Goodmans?

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

........and re Campag, I still lust after a set of these: Campag just gorgeous.

ARE THESE CANPAG'S FOR A TURNTABLE......OR LIKE SPEAKER CLAMPS......OR SOMTHING....? :lol:

Wee speakers eh - Not sure yer budget but......Try these.
cube 2.jpg
cube 2.jpg (7.15 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
ref 3a dulcet.jpg
ref 3a dulcet.jpg (3.92 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
zingali overture.jpg
zingali overture.jpg (13.72 KiB) Viewed 4217 times

schwantz34

Unread post by schwantz34 »

oh...zingali...nice speakers brand, italians can do aswell hi-efficiency speakers...:-)

antibob

Unread post by antibob »

Thanks chaps, already started a bit of research.

I had to laugh though, from the Klipsch website I found a UK dealer - Audio Emotion in Scotland who proudly advertise their 'Free room optimisation consultation using our proprietary software'

Well I've already got my own proprietary hardware, generally known as ears !

zebbo
Great Britain

Unread post by zebbo »

antibob wrote:Thanks chaps, already started a bit of research.

I had to laugh though, from the Klipsch website I found a UK dealer - Audio Emotion in Scotland who proudly advertise their 'Free room optimisation consultation using our proprietary software'

Well I've already got my own proprietary hardware, generally known as ears !

Yeah me too, called a wife!! :cry:
Mind you, I have just ordered some bass traps to try in the recess behind the sofa - she'll probably have a baby!
Audio Grail "Sable" Garrard 401 with Cumbrian Green Slate plinth / Audiomods 6 / Benz Micro Gullwing SLR, Phono 2, NVA INT400sa. (Oh and a Copland CDA823 CD Player, for when I fancy a bit of the devil's spawn!) :lol: