hi-fi idiocy

All general audio posts go here.
spacejay
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

hi-fi idiocy

Unread post by spacejay »

just off to work now but was inspired to start this because of figlets admitted idiocy regarding his multi-meter. any others out there willing to share.

i have a good one which i will post tomorrow.

Sovereign

Re: hi-fi idiocy

Unread post by Sovereign »

Yep, I've fried an NVA as well :doh:

spacejay

i bought a phono2 and got the doc to put an extra set of outputs on the back (one for the headphone amp and one for the pre-amp) so i didn't have to keep unplugging cables. anyway i plug the cables in and can only hear out of one channel. i email the doc and he says send it back. in my mind i can't believe the phono2 is at fault so i check everything. and then the penny dropped and i realised that i had plugged one cable into the head amp output and one into the pre amp output.

oh and then there was the time i bought some dodgy speakers, plugged them in and blew up an amp. that was class a idiocy (as opposed to class a/b)

Gromit

Unread post by Gromit »

I once bought a Mission Cyrus 2 amplifier. :oops:
Sources: Macbook/Sony CDP-X303ES/TEAC UD-H01 dac & Sony PS-6570/Benz Micro ACE SL
Making it louder: Sonneteer Sedley/Sonneteer Campion
Speakers: Royd Sapphire
Hooking it all up: NVA Soundcord & NVA LS6

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I wrecked a mission cyrus 2 changing parts [capacitors ] cause i thought i new what i was doing - also did the same to nad , arcam and musical fidelity .

I knocked the dimond of a benz micro ace within 2 hours of buying it , had it retipped and snapped the cantilever 24 hours after getting it back .

And finally , shunning the funk firms expensive upgrades , i tried to cut a circular hole in 10mm carbon fibre with the wrong tool [ drill with woodcutter hole attachment ] and spent 3 hours in surgery with a plastic surgeon fixing the bones and the tendons in my thumb.

I am well and truly an idiot .

spacejay

Daniel Quinn wrote:And finally , shunning the funk firms expensive upgrades , i tried to cut a circular hole in 10mm carbon fibre with the wrong tool [ drill with woodcutter hole attachment ] and spent 3 hours in surgery with a plastic surgeon fixing the bones and the tendons in my thumb.
was it an improvement though?

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

The Sister was down visiting with my nephew....All going well, till the little brat decided my turntable lid needed a good bashing with a matchbox car.... :evil:
Fukin ruined my TT lid.
Needless to say they have'nt been invited back for any more Mince n Tatties.
:naughty:

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

I bought a 110V turntable and plugged it into 230V mains. :cry: :doh:

Not sure if it's fixable, it's at the hospital at the moment. :pray:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

jandl100 wrote:I bought a 110V turntable and plugged it into 230V mains. :cry: :doh:

Not sure if it's fixable, it's at the hospital at the moment. :pray:
I took my amps to the US. when I immigrated out there, never heard anything so quiet! :?

applemarc

Unread post by applemarc »

My 7-year-old son decided to put an LP on the TT but could not get any sound out of it. Some time later that week I wanted to use the TT only to see the arm slide across the LP when I looked there was no cantilever. I was ready to have a good go at whoever had touch my TT I ask the wife knowing full well that she had no interest in music I asked my daughter who had used the system but would never touch the turntable only the CD player, so it was down to one other person when he came home from school I was all ready for him just waiting for him to deny it thinking up all sorts of punishment so when I asked him he said he tried to listen to the nice music but could not get it to work and could I show what to do completely took the wind out of my sails. The insurance company wasn’t so impressed as it was a Lira Parnassus at £1750
Beresford Caiman Ipod