A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

All general audio posts go here.
jammy395
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

Unread post by jammy395 »

OK....I must be at a funny age or something (50).
But ive just watched ( 2001 - A space oddessy ) and found my self enjoying the sound track.....Fuk sake it's CLASSICAL.
That Blue dannube waltz by whoever was ace....!!!
So is there such a thing out there as a CLASSICAL FOR BEGNINERS album......
Where do i start - help.
jammy :(

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Start with Mozart as he writes good tunes that have conversations with each other, very accessible to beginners. Then try the Romantics like Tchaikovsky, ballet music if you like waltz, and of course Beethoven, 6th the Pastoral is very accessible with good tunes and a good musical story. The other thing I recommend is get Disneys Fantasia DVD, like a poor mans hiking trip across the classics, with some funny dancing hippos and other things. People think it is a kids movie, it isn't.

And if you like the 2001 then you need to explore the Austrian Waltz music from the Strauss family (father and son), and the less known Josef Lanner.

Good luck, you are starting a beautiful journey.

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

I keep on trying to dabble in classical, but never seem to get very far, I like really moody stuff with cell.
I know I LOVE the soundtrack to hanibal by Hanz Zimmer bloody brilliant!

Anesthetise
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

From my little classical music knowledge I could reccomend:
-Edward's Elgar Cello Concerto in E-minor
-All of Chopin's Nocturnes
-Gabriel Faure's Requiem op. 48
-Arvo Parta 'Tabula Rasa'
-Bela Bartok's String Quartet pieces
-Many people recommended me D. Shostakovich's symphonies, but I don't really find them THAT good...

And from modern stuff, Philip Glass's 'Koyaanisquatsi' (amazing film by the way), William Basinski's 'The Disintegration Loops I-IV' - a minimal approach to classical music. Also, modern cRPG/MMO games have unexpectedly good modern classical soundtracks, eg. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7qeiLt2WSkw

Or of course, you could start with something like this.
http://rateyourmusic.com/release/comp/v ... mes_1_10_/
Every classical period - from early baroque to impressionism.
Last edited by Anesthetise on Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

jandl100

Unread post by jandl100 »

I've just been listening to Tchaikovsky's 5th symphony - I reckon you'd love it Jammy. Big and bold and some great tunes! 8-)

Here's the recording - fab stuff! .. and about £2.50 inc delivery! :dance:
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sovereign

Would I sound like too much of an arse if I said this is too 'Happy' for me

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Miserable git :mrgreen:

try the whole thing then. As a child this is what sparked my love of music http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPlKN8VC ... re=related

Sovereign

Listened to the first few minutes, quite meaty and powerful!
I have to hit the hay, as its another 5 am start, oh another 4hour sleep what joy! :D

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Sovereign wrote:Listened to the first few minutes, quite meaty and powerful!
I have to hit the hay, as its another 5 am start, oh another 4hour sleep what joy! :D
Part two is The Nutcracker which is a bit twee as it is a childrens story. Fascinating that the narrator says it is dead and not performed as a Ballet anymore. Things go in and out of fashion and that was made in 1940 :shock: though re-engineered recently to give a pseudo stereo effect. It has come back more into fashion as the ENB have created a tradition of performing it every year at the Colliseum over the Christmas period. Sadly the dancing of the ENB is not the Royal, but the orchestra is good and the acoustic at the Colliseum are good, if not quite as good as the Royal.

Later on there is some quite dark stuff, Saint-Saëns can be very dark but The Sorcerers Apprentice is ruined by Micky Mouse which was just Disney promotion.

Anyway I love it, as it reminds me of when I first saw it and heard it in glorious mono at the Odeon Cinema Southgate in the late 50's. It blew my mind - so innovative, music and film, pointing to what is normal now. The only thing to have similar but different effect on me was walking into a Coffee bar and hearing "love me do" on the jukebox or earlier hearing Peggy Sue or the Everlys playing on the sound system at the fairground in the grounds of the Ally Pally. Must be getting old, all this reminiscing :character-oldtimer: