A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Not sure Cage would welcome your classification of him Mr Booth, but i take your point ,however ; 4 mins 33 seconds can and indeed as been performed by a full orchestra . :D

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

Daniel Quinn wrote:Not sure Cage would welcome your classification of him Mr Booth, but i take your point ,however ; 4 mins 33 seconds can and indeed as been performed by a full orchestra . :D
That's just when they've all popped off round the pub. :P
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

figlet108 wrote:
Anesthetise wrote:Do you have any examples of one of these huge speakers that can keep the similar Roydous musicality, or at least a part of it?
But since these cost over £7000 I don't think it's a very helpful suggestion if you are on a budget.
I'm not a very good person to ask about budget speakers. Maybe Lindsay can be more helpful...
EV Patricians.
On a tighter budget for classical, EV Sentry III's, Altec Model 19's, Klipschorns.
On a sub £1000 budget, if you can find them, Bozak Symphonys or Concert Grands - which I think are better suited to rock and pop, but they're not bad for classical.
Or for ultimate midrange transparency whilst sacrificing some dynamics Quad Electrostatics. These would be my choice for chamber music.
I'm sure that there are other proper sized speakers that would do a good job. Vitavox, Klangfilm, that sort of thing.

Anesthetise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

I mostly listen to almost everything, but mostly *new* music - I love balance of range, when there's equal of everything, dynamics, naturality/neutrality and... they should survive strong modern electronic bass, which I've been exploring the most recently :mrgreen:
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

slinger
EUROPEAN_UNION

Unread post by slinger »

For my two pennorth I'd echo what Lindsayt said and listen Classic FM in the car, or the office, or whatever. It's a great primer, but they don't just play "the usual suspects."
Amps - NVA P50, AP30, A40, Stanislav Palo Tube Headphone Amp BB 85
Speakers - Monitor Audio Silver RX2
Cables - NVA LS1+LS3, SSC, Gotham S/PDIF, IBRA Optical
Digital - NAD C516BEE, SONY ST-SDB900 DAB TUNER, TEAC UD-H01 DAC
Analogue - Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB, Graham Slee Gram Amp 2 Phono
Cans - Grado SR80, ATH-M50X

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

On a tighter budget for classical, EV Sentry III's, Altec Model 19's, Klipschorns.
On a sub £1000 budget, if you can find them, Bozak Symphonys or Concert Grands - which I think are better suited to rock and pop, but they're not bad for classical.
Or for ultimate midrange transparency whilst sacrificing some dynamics Quad Electrostatics. These would be my choice for chamber music.
I'm sure that there are other proper sized speakers that would do a good job. Vitavox, Klangfilm, that sort of thing.
Whilst I'm sure LindsayT is on the money for musicality with these suggestions, I think you may be a bit out on budget. There's a set of Bozak Concert Grands on ebay at the mo that'll set you back £4.5K inc postage. :shock: Of the other suggestions I doubt that Klipschorns would cost much less! Quad electrostatics are fairly widely available at various prices in various conditions. But I shall certainly be checking out these other suggestions. As soon as Figlet suggested LindsayTs advice I've been looking forwards it. I mean KLANGFILM :? What? Klangfilm? Has anyone else heard of klangfilm? C'mere google. :lol:
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

Coooooooooooooool. Check out google images for Klangfilm speakers.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

mmmh...Some pretty whacky looking horn affair's right enough....do folk actualy put these things in their living rooms....!!! :think:
I suppose it depends how big the room is..... :hand:

Lindsayt
Nauru

£4.5k for Bozak Concert Grands is a joke. I paid £500 for my Symphonys. If you join the Yahoo Bozak group you'll see Bozaks for sale for less than $1000. I've seen Klipschorns go for less than £1500. Same with Altec 19's.

There was a set of horn enthusiasts who got together in Germany a couple of years ago to compare midrange horns. The winners were a pair of very vintage Klangfilm field coils.

Lindsayt
Nauru

I've got a lot of 24' by 18' rooms in my house, which helps explain my taste in speakers.