A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

All general audio posts go here.
Daniel Quinn

Re: A CLASSIC CONUNDRUM....

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

Jammy - here is my 3 part prescription for your illness -

[1]go to doctors or the pub and get some medication
[2]Play Genesis "selling england by the pound" and pink floyd "animals" on repeat
[3] if symptoms persist and you must get a classical record , buy John Cages' 4 minutes 33 seconds and play until they disappear [ google it ]
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

Listen to Classic FM when out and about in your car. This is pretty much a Classical music for beginners radio station.

Go to your local Town Hall or classical music concert hall for a concert or two.

Anesthetise
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0
Poland

Unread post by Anesthetise »

Lindsayt wrote:Go to your local Town Hall or classical music concert hall for a concert or two.
That's probably the main reason why I don't listen to classical music much at home. After some classical concerts even NVA+Royds system sound crap :/ I don't get that feeling when listening to other genres.
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime
wires: ls3 and various interconnects, half a TB of files
amplification: p50sa seiden modded, a80s, royd rr1, goodmans magnum

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Anesthetise wrote:
Lindsayt wrote:Go to your local Town Hall or classical music concert hall for a concert or two.
That's probably the main reason why I don't listen to classical music much at home. After some classical concerts even NVA+Royds system sound crap :/ I don't get that feeling when listening to other genres.
That is why it is the best test for a system, especially piano. I don't get this problem. I find problems are mostly recording as virtually all the stuff done digitally since the early 80's is crap. Early analogue Deccas, Phillips and EMIs are wonderful. Even on downloads the analogue stuff is far better, maybe also due to simple recording techniques.

Also it is one of the main reasons I design speakers the way I do as semi omnis in order to get a realistic orchestral scale as ordinary speakers don't hack it with their little between the boxes images.

Anesthetise
Poland

Another reason to get a turntable. And a good reason to check out Cubes/Cubix. Maybe one day, when I'm in England... :mrgreen:
analogue: pioneer pl71, 2x technics 1210 mk5, shure m44g, goldring 1042, mastersounds radius 4v, mastersounds fx unit, strymon el capistain, half a tone of records
digital: laptop, rp4 with digi+ hat, V-DAC II + tomanek power supply, SC5000 prime

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I have to mildly disagree, even smaller omnis and semi omnis like NVA cube1 or cube2 will give the orchestral scale and image of a large speaker.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

3] if symptoms persist and you must get a classical record , buy John Cages' 4 minutes 33 seconds and play until they disappear [ google it ]

Dan - Silence is golden ,it would seem. :lol:

So yer not into the classical scene.....?

The rest of you guy's thanks for yer input - theres quite a subject choice, will let you know how i get on asap.

Jammy

Anesthetise
Poland

What you mean 'full range floorstanders'? I have a feeling that Royds are *just* for my tiny 13m^2 room. They are incredibly musical, I will probably never sell them unless the cheaper, older Royds give the same feeling (so I'll swap to keep one pair of these). Do you have any examples of one of these huge speakers that can keep the similar Roydous musicality, or at least a part of it?

Anesthetise
Poland

Oh boy, the average salary in Poland is like £5-6k (a year obviously), and most people get around £3,5-4k, so what are we talking about :icon-rolleyes: I don't even work yet! :lol:

terrybooth
Great Britain

Unread post by terrybooth »

No one has mention Rossini - William Tell Overture riding the back of the sofa pretending to be the Lone Ranger was probably my introduction to classical.

And I thought Cage was an electronic musician. I have him bracketed with İlhan Mimaroğlu and Luciano Berio.

And, of course, if you want to hear classical music from today - listen to the movie soundtracks.
Pioneer PL71/DL103/ Phono2/HiFiPi/P90SA/TIS/CubixPro