NVA and 97db OB speakers

All general audio posts go here.
Sovereign
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

NVA and 97db OB speakers

Unread post by Sovereign »

Hi Doc are you able to give me some advice here.
I am picking up the OB speakers on Saturday, the chap I bought them from had a pair of A80's and I presumed he was using them for the OB speakers, but I have attached his answer below, I just presume the OB's would work with my A80's, maybe they will, I hope. Would my A40's be more suitable? :?:

I didn't use the NVAs, likely a bit 'bright' for the OBs and you'd be listening to classAB crossover distortion for much of it as the OBs are so sensitive. I went with valves again firstly the Eastern Electric M520 EL34 amp, then on to the Consonance 845 reference SET monos and pre which are just stunning with the Lamps, incredible mids.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: NVA and 97db OB speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

He is basically talking bollocks - use your ears.

Sovereign

Fair point that is what I thought. I am very impressed with NVA and don't want to change a good thing.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

There is synergy of course so there is a chance he may be right, but that would be because he tailored the speakers for valves, not because valves are better. For example a rising treble to compensate for the frequency drop off from output transformers. Most old efficient speakers like old Tannoy 15 inchers have this rising upper mid / top. so they can honk and spit with a flat FR amp and are tailored by a valve amp - SYNERGY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The problem is idiots put that synergy down to one product or type of product being better than another. It is not it is synergy. The old flat earth classic Linn / Naim sound was based on synergy, so substitute a competitive product and it sounds different, even if maybe better, so the sheep and clones say it must be worse because its different :roll:

sc_ita

Unread post by sc_ita »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:... For example a rising treble to compensate for the frequency drop off from output transformers. ...
This logic could be applied also to some MC cartridges and step-up couples, isn'it? :think:
Ciao, Siro

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Well in some cases it is necessary as with the RIAA curve in record cutting.

But yes your point applies to SUTs (step up transformers) and MC carts. Simply valve amps cannot amplify MC carts, they are too noisy, so they need transformers to do the job (partially, bandwidth limited). Another necessary compromised expediency that is bullshitted into a asset.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

Sov yer speakers are very sensitive at 97db.
My Zingalis are 93db sensitive.
If my memory serves saw a pair on web (not sure make) that was 114db. (a couple watts should do the trick...!!!)
Not sure what the max would be....Any thoughts Boys & Girl.

:lol:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

I think the SPL record is from a late 70's Cerwin Vega PA rig. Until there were threats of court cases from ear damage. The efficiency of these big pro rigs is way higher than domestic products.

There was a mad prof (too much acid) called Ken Schaffer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Schaffer back then who used to play with PA rigs at concerts. The big Cerwin Vega rig was at Maddison Square Gardens and he decided he knew the resonant frequency of the human bowel, so to prove it he used a sig gen in the interval through the PA - people were hurt in the rush for the looos - big stink :mrgreen: about it all from the authorities and some guidelines were put in place.

shevans

Unread post by shevans »

My dearly departed Fostex horns :violin: were 96 db and worked without fault with the AP10 or the A40 monos, the only problem I had was that a slight adjustment of the pot adjusted the volume quite significantly. I had the P90 pre upgraded to the stepped actuators and this helped, both in adjustmanet range but also from going deaf after my children make unplanned "adjustments"

Sovereign

Thanks for your input chaps, particularly those with sensitive speakers.
As RD says suck it and see. Is there an emoticom for this?