Re: NVA and 97db OB speakers

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

I think it maybe too rude :lol:

Neilardo
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by Neilardo »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:I think the SPL record is from a late 70's Cerwin Vega PA rig. Until there were threats of court cases from ear damage. The efficiency of these big pro rigs is way higher than domestic products.

There was a mad prof (too much acid) called Ken Schaffer http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Schaffer back then who used to play with PA rigs at concerts. The big Cerwin Vega rig was at Maddison Square Gardens and he decided he knew the resonant frequency of the human bowel, so to prove it he used a sig gen in the interval through the PA - people were hurt in the rush for the looos - big stink :mrgreen: about it all from the authorities and some guidelines were put in place.
:lol: :lol: Naughty naughty Prof Schaffer :naughty: :naughty:
I remember Cerwin Vega "hifi" speakers from the late '80s. Big black boxes with 12 or 15 inch woofers with red surrounds and industrial grills. Their prime quality was they went very very very LOUD :lol: . No idea how musical they were. Sort of wish I'd given them a try.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

jammy395

Unread post by jammy395 »

I remember reading some where that the chaps from across the pond (YANKS) were experimenting with a weapon that could kill using sound waves alone....!!!
My missus must have got hold of the files......... :lol:
TRUE :hand:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

When I was talking to Ken during the New York AES in 1982 (I think) he had been hired to do just that by the CIA. But it was using resonant frequencies to disrupt attacking soldiers. It is rather difficult I would have thought to attack and be fierce when you are desperate for a pooo, or other body functions are being disrupted. Not a clue if anything came of it.

jammy395

YEP difficult indeed....
And may i add, the yanks probably never heard of that great British group BOY'S ALOUD...!!!
This played at even modarate vol levels can cause severe fukin damage....(also true)
oop's hope there's no fans on the forum..... :lol:
jammy.

Neilardo

Unread post by Neilardo »

jammy395 wrote:YEP difficult indeed....
And may i add, the yanks probably never heard of that great British group BOY'S ALOUD...!!!
This played at even modarate vol levels can cause severe fukin damage....(also true)
oop's hope there's no fans on the forum..... :lol:
jammy.
DIe Heretic DIE! A fatwa on the "boys aloud" non-believer. Fetch the sonic cannon and crucifix.

Naah, only joking, they were shite.
Technic SL-P1200ASC>>SSP>>P50sa>>SSP>>A80>>LS6>>Royd Prior>>> and on the whole very pleased about it.

jammy395

Nice one Neil......Had me going for a mili sec.
I was indeed awaiting the back lash.............

:whistle:

Lindsayt
Nauru

Unread post by Lindsayt »

My 97 db efficient EV Sentry III's sound fine with solid state or valve amplification. They're not amplifier fussy. Your OB's may be the same, or you may prefer them with one type of amplification. Try your OB's with good examples of both to see which you prefer. (My son's just come into the room and had a good laugh at the Smilies. He likes this one which is vaguely appropriate: :sad-roulette: )

If you don't like the idea of waiting for valves to warm up on switch-on and having to replace valves every few years, use solid state. If you find the tweeters too hot with your solid state amp, you can always pad them down a bit with a few resistors.

The natural resonant frequency of the adult human body ranges from 9 to 16 hz with an average of 12hz. The natural resonant frequency of the abdominal mass is 4 to 8 hz. Car designers have to take care when tuning suspension systems to avoid these resonant frequencies.