New Rack Wood or Granite

All general audio posts go here.
applemarc
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

New Rack Wood or Granite

Unread post by applemarc »

I have a HNE Granite Rack so granite shelve with wooden pillars my Turntable sits on the top shelve I have ordered a TCS/TAS which will also need the top shelve so now need another Rack to put it on should I buy two quadraspires or get a Rack that can that I can sit the Turntable and TCS/TAS next to one another.

Richard I have put the two TDS’s on the floor and If I buy a TSS that will also go on the floor.

Is Granite a good material to stand a TT or TCS/TAS on?
Which is best for audio wood or granite
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Re: New Rack Wood or Granite

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Acrylic :mrgreen:

Not a clue, you tell us. I just stand mine on the floor, but that is a concrete float, no floorboards.

applemarc

I also have a concrete floor but I have to put the turntable and the TCS on something
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Applemarc

I have a spare hifi rack that I may be interested in selling.
It is MDF but veneered in a lush cherry wood, 4 tiers.
Not sure if the space between the shelves is enough for you though, at around 200mm, I'll measure it in a moment. Strong enough to carry an ox though

Sovereign

Unread post by Sovereign »

Space between shelves is 155mm

applemarc

Thanks for the offer but I've been told I can only have Oak or black if it's a quadraspire I may know someone who would be interested
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

From what I have read, granite is not a good choice due to it's crysalline nature, it's prone to ringing. Slate is a much better choice. It's self damping because it's built up in layers with different hardnessess, so you get a constained layer damping effect.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Just my opinion but everything I have heard with slate in the design seem to sound a bit grey, as though the life / colour has been sucked out.

applemarc

I've borrowed a Quadraspire so I can see what the difference is sound is
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Theo
Great Britain

Unread post by Theo »

I've moved away from standard hifi racks, and haven't remotely regretted it. I would much rather plonk equipment on good looking (or at least functional) furniture, and add any "isolation" on top of that. This oak table is a perfect example of something both attractive and functional:

http://www.oakfurnitureland.co.uk/furni ... 09oak.html

You could then add on granite/acrylic shevlves (with whatever coupling / uncoupling devices you chose betwixt shelf and cupboard). Add wall shelves if possible, especially for turntables. IMHO, this is a much more aesthetically pleasing way of displaying / supporting hifi equipment. Your thoughts may differ, of course :)

I chose a slightly more utilitarian look, but it works for me. I also preferred granite to slate, but definitely acrylic under the t/t:

T/T: Trio L-07D/Benz Glider; Dynavector DV507 MK II/Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Phono: Whest PS30R SE. CDPs: Esoteric UX-1; Micromega Classic Solo; Oppo BDP-95. Digital: Cambridge CXN V2. R2R: Technics RS-1700. Amps: Exposure MCX Pre/4 x Exposure XVI Mono Power. Speakers: Jamo R909; Audiosmile Supertweeters Mk.2. Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-1000W. Mains: NVA BMU