New Rack Wood or Granite

All general audio posts go here.
Ali Tait

Re: New Rack Wood or Granite

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Just my opinion but everything I have heard with slate in the design seem to sound a bit grey, as though the life / colour has been sucked out.
Interesting, as the best TT I've heard was in a slate plinth. I'd heard it in it's previous wooden plinth and the difference was very plain, far better with the slate IMHO.

Daniel Quinn

Unread post by Daniel Quinn »

I like a bit of wood .
{ below was supposed to a picture of my hifi to celebrate the fact that with a friends help its back up and running as of today , which is a double celebration because my thumb as been freed from captivity today as well . it wont bloody move but at least i'm allowed to move it . I think the physio was a fan of father ted , because she kept saying , now dont lift anything heavier than a cup of tea . }

now please how do i upload pictures :angry-screaming:

Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

Ali Tait wrote:
Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:Just my opinion but everything I have heard with slate in the design seem to sound a bit grey, as though the life / colour has been sucked out.
Interesting, as the best TT I've heard was in a slate plinth. I'd heard it in it's previous wooden plinth and the difference was very plain, far better with the slate IMHO.
There is obviously synergy involved, if something is a bit loose and rattly or ringing then slate will tame it.

Over heavy and over damped is not always good, but it has become a forum bullshit. For example the best Garrard 401 I have heard was in a wooden Torlyte plinth, where as the worst was on slate.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote: now please how do i upload pictures :angry-screaming:
Join a picture hosting site like tinypics. Up load your photo to it and resize for forums. You will be given a series of URLs, select the one with img in brackets at each end of it, and copy that URL into the text of your post here. The picture will appear at that point in the post.

Daniel Quinn

ah ha

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Daniel Quinn wrote:ah ha

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t45 ... 012070.jpg

Addendum .

er no . the link works but it didnt download it ? oh well .
Photobucket doesn't work for me either, try tinypics.

EDIT:- I did it for you on Tinypics

applemarc
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by applemarc »

Wood seems to be popular a bit of slate/Granite or perspex. Nice pic Daniel what more could you ask for a bottle of wine and a good album.
Beresford Caiman Ipod

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

The answer is there is no perfect material. It is all to do with synergy, because of the attributes already there do you need to couple or de-couple, do you need to dampen or let a bit of life in. Only thing that tells you what you need - per usual - is your ears.

Daniel Quinn

thank you , i even manage to get a current episode of coronation street and a wilko's carrier bag in there , proper northern :D

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Dr Bunsen Honeydew wrote:
Ali Tait wrote:
There is obviously synergy involved, if something is a bit loose and rattly or ringing then slate will tame it.

Over heavy and over damped is not always good, but it has become a forum bullshit. For example the best Garrard 401 I have heard was in a wooden Torlyte plinth, where as the worst was on slate.
I guess it will depend on what sort of sound you are looking for, and slate is very variable in composition, so the sound you get could have a lot to do with where the slate came from possibly.