Jerry's ongoing system blog

All general audio posts go here.
Dr Bunsen Honeydew
Has thanked: 0

Re: Jerry's ongoing system blog

Unread post by Dr Bunsen Honeydew »

There is a lack of rhythmical integration as well. I have a mid 60's fav album of Joao Gilberto and Stan Getz doing Bossanova rhythm. The one with Girl from Ipanema on it. Well the last time I played with class D I was playing it on vinyl and if the music was people dancing they would have tripped over each others feet. So I can accept class D would be acceptable on a classical diet.

jandl100
Been thanked: 0

Unread post by jandl100 »

:think:

I wonder what class D amps / chipsets you have heard? .... the best of them, to my ears, have improved drastically over recent years. The original class T modules as used in the old Veritas P400 amp and the TA2024 chipset, and others, have a quite laidback sound.
The TA2020 amps and to a lesser extent the more powerful TA2022 and TA2021 chipsets have a much faster and clearer sound, which do the rhythm thing very much better.
How about I send you a Mini-T TA2020 amp to try out, Dr BH?
Jerry - unrepentant boxswapper 8-) Life's too short for boring hifi !

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

29mile

Unread post by 29mile »

Intrigued by your MBL speakers Jerry. Do you have any pics as the MBLs' I have seen vary from the exotic to plain daft !!!

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

jandl100 wrote::think:

I wonder what class D amps / chipsets you have heard? .... the best of them, to my ears, have improved drastically over recent years. The original class T modules as used in the old Veritas P400 amp and the TA2024 chipset, and others, have a quite laidback sound.
The TA2020 amps and to a lesser extent the more powerful TA2022 and TA2021 chipsets have a much faster and clearer sound, which do the rhythm thing very much better.
How about I send you a Mini-T TA2020 amp to try out, Dr BH?
Already tried it. The clarity and information in the midband has improved considerably and that one is good at it but the frequency extremes are still musically disjointed.

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Have you heard the Temple Audio Golds? They use the ADAU1592, so not a Tripath chip. Different sound, but I Iike them.

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

If they are class D they will still be disjointed, it is a function of the class D circuit, they can't stop it happening, because they sample they only really work at one frequency (like a transformer) and everything else is a compromise getting more so at the frequency extremes.

Ali Tait

Unread post by Ali Tait »

Well, having tried a few of the breed I found the Temples better than any of the others I've tried, to my ears at least. Good as they are, they never reached the level of a good valve amp though. Saying that, I'm currently running my active OB's with a Temple Gold on the bass (200Hz down) and a valve amp from there up.

jandl100

29mile wrote:Intrigued by your MBL speakers Jerry. Do you have any pics as the MBLs' I have seen vary from the exotic to plain daft !!!
Last edited by jandl100 on Thu Nov 27, 2014 9:53 am, edited 2 times in total.

Current system ... MBL 116F speakers, ... various and varying electronics and cables ... Laptop (TIDAL hirez)

Dr Bunsen Honeydew

Omni directional ribbons are an excellent but very expensive solution. I think Jerry got them for a good price, in which case they are well worth it.

jandl100

Omni directional ribbons? -- well, not really. There's a circle of carbon fibre "petals" in each Radialstrahler driver which are flexed to create the sound. Very fast and transparent it is, too!